Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bargello Time Update >

Bargello Time Update

Bargello Time Update

Old 10-03-2013, 01:58 PM

Default Bargello Time Update

Ok, I took out the non batik fabrics and added more batiks. I sorted according to color as suggested. This is how it looks now. Remember I need 24 colors. HELP ME!! I'm so lost. What would y'all pick?
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 10-03-2013, 02:04 PM

I am closely watching your progress. Picking the colors intimidates me and I can hardly wait to see yours. These fabrics are wonderful and I'm expecting the board members to help you figure this out. I wish I could help.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:31 PM

What is the pattern you are using.. it affects the "color runs or sequence " .
Old 10-03-2013, 04:03 PM

Oops, forgot it's the surf song bargello
Old 10-03-2013, 04:13 PM
Power Poster

everything is close to the same 'value' ... you need a balance of lights, mediums and darks to help it 'flow'. from what I am seeing you have maybe 3 lights- everything else is medium/darks. sometimes it helps to take a picture of all of the fabrics- stacked like you have them- then print it off in grayscale- then the color does not *interfere* and you can see the values of the fabrics. they are nice colors but you need to find some more lights, & lighter mediums or darker darks- most of your fabrics are the same value-even though you have a variety of color.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:19 PM

I really understand what Ckcowl is trying to say. I just took a picture of the screen with black and white. All of the yellows kind of vanish into mush. That's great info for future reference.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:25 PM

To see the value of fabrics, copy them on a black & white copier/printer. All the fabrics will appear different shades of grey on the copies. You can then sort the actual fabrics according to light, medium and dark and add as needed to each shade. You can also use a piece of red acetate (sold in quilt notions area) to view the fabrics through. The red color makes the fabrics appear grey. Hope this helps.

Yes, I agree, you need more lights in your collection. Love the fabrics you do have! Can't wait to see the finished quilt.

Anita
Old 10-03-2013, 05:20 PM
Power Poster

I don't like the turquoise (6th from right, bottom row) next to the other greens.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:28 PM

I just finished a surf song bargello. I did mine in greens and blues. Honestly....I let my quilt shop owner pick the fabrics as I was intimidated by 24 fabrics Good luck with your quilt!
Old 10-03-2013, 05:47 PM

The pattern Surf Song works with 2 basic colors that run from dark to light. You need to choose the 2 colors you like, then choose various shades of those 2 colors. I noticed that you had a lot of orange, you could work with orange, going from a dark orange and work down to a pale orange ending with a yellow orange. The second color should be a color that appeals to you and compliments the orange. Also, working from dark to light of that color. These 2 colors are repeated every other row. So, you would need 12 shades of orange and 12 shades of your second color. Like brown, starting with a dark brown and coordinating 12 shades of brown down to a beige. The look of the waves in the quilt will be a repeat of orange and brown, then orange and brown until complete. If you look at the pattern, you will see it is done in 2 basic colors in dark to light shades. Hope this helps. Susan