Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Basket Woven Quilt >

Basket Woven Quilt

Basket Woven Quilt

Old 11-28-2014, 07:17 AM

Default Basket Woven Quilt

Greetings! This is my first post on this forum, and I've read through some threads and had a grand ol' time admiring some of the amazing quilts on here!

I have a question about basket weaving a quilt.

I used a jelly roll and set the whole thing up. 8 million pins later, trying to keep everything in place, the best idea I could come up with so the fabric doens't fray and look messy was a to quilt a wide stitch.

Basically, now, my quilt looks like a bunch of squares with a thick varigated thread border ...

Any other BETTER ideas as to how to quilt together a basket woven quilt so it actually looks woven?

I can post a pic of it later (at work and don't have a pic of it with me!)

Thanks very much,

Marion
Old 11-28-2014, 08:41 AM
Power Poster

Do you mean you have woven actual raw edge strips of fabric together? The only technique I have seen like this uses fusible on the back of the strips and zig zag stitching on the raw edges.
Old 11-28-2014, 09:23 AM

Yes, that's exactly what I did ... I didn't use any fusibles ... just a million pins ... When I look at it, it just seems like a lot of wasted time spent weaving and pinning when I could have just pieced them all together.

I'm just wondering if I missed a step / or the whole boat!
Old 11-28-2014, 09:28 AM
Power Poster

Welcome to the board. Fabric will fray when you don't use fusible like with applique. Wish you had posted photo but I understand why. I would start clipping the fray edges and maybe try a zig zag stitch that will prevent any further fraying. Might take a bit of time to do that but it will selvage the quilt top.
Old 11-28-2014, 09:29 AM
Power Poster

Not having seen a picture my first guess is that the color placement you have is too busy to see the weave, and/or you just wove in and out every other row. You need to use a weaving pattern that will produce a longer strip than a square.
Here's an example where you can see how the white fabric separates the colors and the longer strips enhance the woven look:
http://www.modabakeshop.com/2012/10/...ven-quilt.html

Last edited by PaperPrincess; 11-28-2014 at 09:31 AM.
Old 11-28-2014, 09:30 AM

Oh the whole thing is done, binding and all LOL ... I was just wondering if there was a different technique that I should have used ... I will post a pic when I get home tonight!
Old 11-28-2014, 09:39 AM
Power Poster

Type ( basket weave quilts) into Google search engine, then choose the * pinterest* option. Scroll through the pictures & see if you can determine what went wrong ( if anything) without a picture we really can not determine if there was something else you could have done. When I made mine I sewed my strips into tubes so I did not have raw edges, then I used a lightweight fusible stabilizer, wove my strips on the stabilizer, pressed it so it was held in place then stitched it. I followed the woven pattern, so did not sew across ( under) sections. I did a queen sized quilt, working in sections, weaving ends into the next section as I went along. I remember at the time thinking ( there is probably an easier way) but it turned out great
Old 11-28-2014, 10:17 AM

Is it possible that something simple like a rail fence could accomplish what you were thinking of?

Here is my favorite link to the rail fence, plus I copied the part where it talks about a woven pattern.

Just in case it is what you are thinking of....
Welcome to the board, by the way!!

Dina

http://www.generations-quilt-pattern...t-pattern.html

Woven Effects

Staying with a 5 strip block, now grade from the outside to the center, either light to dark or dark to light results in these basic quilt blocks.

Again, in this rail fence quilt pattern design we set the blocks in horizontal rows and the results with light fabric on the outside...

...or with dark fabric...

Using hand dyed gradations will produce a subtler effect. So much so that you might consider having the horizontal rows in one color family and the vertical columns in another.

Old 11-28-2014, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
Not having seen a picture my first guess is that the color placement you have is too busy to see the weave, and/or you just wove in and out every other row. You need to use a weaving pattern that will produce a longer strip than a square.
That's what I did ... so now I know my mistake!!!!

Thanks, I'll still post a picture and you can put it as a stick of what NOT to do when attempting a basket weave quilt LOL
Old 11-28-2014, 03:55 PM

Well, I googled Basket Weave Quilts, like ckcowl suggested, and now I realize the Rail Fence is not at all what you were looking for. I looked at the quilts on Pinterest, and I saw one that looked like what you described...lots of squares with really interesting thick thread borders....and I liked that quilt!

I look forward to seeing a picture of yours, but I suspect it is still a very good looking quilt! Just not what you had in mind when you started....

Dina