Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6

Thread: basting for free motion quilting

I only spray baste. Quick and easy. If your machine doesn't like the spray - you may have used too much. Try spraying lighter next time. It may work better for you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BeckyL
    Spray adhesive 505. If you haven't tried it yet, you are in for a pleasant surprise. There is also fusible batting that is also good to work with.
    Totally agree. 505's the one for me. A little goes a long way; spray in a grid pattern; no need to completely cover the whole quilt top and back.

Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie R
    There is something called a basting gun and I was wondering if anyone here uses one to baste? Do you like it?

I was told it's fast and it's easy to remove the little plastic tags when finished quilting. If this is true, it might be nice to have one.
    There is such, but I do not like using it. It seems to me that there is too much play between the layers of the sandwich. I do like mine for another use. I am a costumer and the gun is a quick way to fix something on the fly during a performance.

Sierra, many thanks for detailed explanation. I will definitely give this a try.
    I'll start with something small first. I have carpal tunnel and can't use
    too many pins and I hate basting spray. So if this works it would be great for me.

Blog Entries
    Spray basting is the way to go, but don't do what I did. In spray basting, a little goes a long way. I over sprayed and it cause the fabric to crinkle. On the next project, I sprayed much less and it was better. I also pinned the edges.

I haven't tried basting spray and pins just get in the way. I've been using tailor tacks. It's faster than basting and it doesn't get in the way. Just take a couple of large stiches in one place and cut the thread. No knots.

When you spray baste do you spray the backing that is layed out smooth face down then place the batting smooth on that then then spray the batting and place the quilt top on that? What do you do if you get qrinkles can it be lifted and smoothed or can you just smooth it out with your hands?
    Thanks
    JeanneZ

Quote Originally Posted by JeanneZ
    When you spray baste do you spray the backing that is layed out smooth face down then place the batting smooth on that then then spray the batting and place the quilt top on that? What do you do if you get qrinkles can it be lifted and smoothed or can you just smooth it out with your hands?
    Thanks
    JeanneZ
    You have the order right and, yes, it can be lifted and smoothed.

I find that 505 works very well - have done up to a double bed size with this method - no pins to remove :-)

Where would I find wash-a-way thread? I've never heard of it. Would Joann's have it?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6