Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: basting for free motion quilting

Good morning. I've been practicing my FMQ for a while now and feel I am ready to tackle that table runner I'm working on. For a normal quilt, I have always pin basted it together, but for FMQ, I'm thinking that just won't work.

So, for those of you who have done this before, how would you baste a table runner for FMQ? I'm eager to hear all the possibilities.

Dorothy in PA

You can spray baste. it works well. I have just done two lap size quilts that way. you can also pin baste for fmq but you just have to have a plan and try not to pin where you are wanting to go.

I am going to try 505 basting spray and see how that works. Typically I just pin baste. I think you have 3 choices: basting stitches, pins or basting spray.

I used safety pins and also a light spray of quilt spray to hold it. I am not one to do a lot of heavy basting on a table runner before quilting because it is so small you should be able to control it.

Sorry double post

Spray adhesive 505. If you haven't tried it yet, you are in for a pleasant surprise. There is also fusible batting that is also good to work with.

Blog Entries
    You can try spray baste - but my machine doesn't like it. I have a Bernina and the stitch regulator has issues with the spray - don't really know why. I have successfully pin basted and started the FMQ in a small area then removed pins as I got close to them.

I just basted my first full size sandwich for FMQ. I used a needle and wash away thread. Don't like pin basting - it makes the sandwich too heavy and for me to hard to move around. I basted using Sharon Schamber's method.

I hand basted the first small wall hanging that I FMQ........because I was not confident enough to stop and take out the pins and continue quilting. This works for me and I still hand baste a small project. I just purchased Pinmoors.......have not used them yet.

spray baste works so well--check out you tube sharon schuber on basting a quilt radical--i could see haw it could work very well---dont know how to do a link someone may halp

I spray baste everything.It works for me

I use the Sharon Schamber method (it's on you tube). Much easier than pins.

I spray baste everything....if you try it, you will never pin again!

Welcome to the board from Southern California!!!

I like to use 505 spray basting!

Thank you everyone for you responses! It looks like I'll be spray basting this one. I'm pretty sure my LQS carries a brand that I can pick up tomorrow. It sounds like it would be perfect for my first FMQ. Wish me luck!

Dorothy in PA

Blog Entries
    i've been successful with pin basting- but i hate doing all the pinning- when i'm going to quilt with my domestic machine i usually thread baste- just put thread in a big needle- big stitches across- in a grid- for me lots faster than pinning and lots easier to take out after too.

Blog Entries
    I pin with safety pins and FMQ. I just be careful and remove pins as needed.

Glue stick. I usually use spray basting but yesterday I needed a quick tablerunner for a gift. Also I've been using flannel for the batting in the runners as it lays flatter (prewashed).
    I was using a preprinted panel that I cut apart & was adding strips to-used the glue stick instead of pins. Got ready to FMQ & thought, "really don't want the spray" Glue stick was right there. I ran it in spots all over the back of fabric, laid it down on the flannel, etc. Did a practice piece & whipped it out in no time.

Has anyone used Gunold's KK100 adhesive spray? At LQS 18 oz can is $27. Owner claims it works better than 505.

I have tried the spray basting on smaller projects and didn't have too much trouble. Tried it on a quilt that I am quilting in sections, so it was a long narrow piece. It ended up with tons of ugly wrinkles. I had smoothed and smoothed like I did on the smaller projects, but still got the wrinkles. Why is it doing that? Ended up pin basting it.

I just finished fmq'ing a queen I spray basted with a few pins on the edges. Yeah, I know, what was I thinking? The results were great, not one pucker! Just remember if you spray baste, put newspapers around your project, you will have over spray.

Question regarding the 505 spray.....I use the Sulky 2000 spray...i love the factt that it doesnt "stay".
    I bought some other spray that was aweful and semi permanent. I didn't like the look that it gave the item.
    Does 505 stay? look sticky (wavy) forever?
    I too use the Sharon Shamber method for basting.

Blog Entries
    I pin baste and move the pin when i get to it.Connie in CO

I use both the spray and pin methods on my small items. It just depends on what pattern I want to use, sometimes the pattern does not do well for pins.

I spray baste.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast