Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: basting for free motion quilting

Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jemma
    spray baste works so well--check out you tube sharon schuber on basting a quilt radical--i could see haw it could work very well---dont know how to do a link someone may halp
    I can't find sharon schuber on Youtube..

forget this post..I found the right name.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by totosmom
    Thank you everyone for you responses! It looks like I'll be spray basting this one. I'm pretty sure my LQS carries a brand that I can pick up tomorrow. It sounds like it would be perfect for my first FMQ. Wish me luck!

Dorothy in PA
    If they are out (backordered) try somewhere online - I think I got it at Fabric.com and got 4 cans - no shipping - i was tired of waiting for restocking - it wa here in 2 days - but might be 3-4 for you in PA - they ship out of GA

Blog Entries
    l've had luck w/June Tailor spray basting from Walmarts. It's cheaper than most other and it holds up well and I didn't have problems w/gunking up my needle

Blog Entries
    Thank you for this tip. I also use the Sharon Schambers method of basting and just finished pulling all my basting threads out of a lap throw I free motion quilted. It never occurred to me to use wash away thread. Brilliant! I'll use it next time.

Blog Entries
    I do pin for FMQ just remove pins as I get close to them! ;)

Good luck, Dorothy in PA. I pin baste everything. For something like a table topper or runner I use fine long straight pins. For larger items I use curved safety pins. I just take out pins in a small area ahead of where I am going.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BeckyL
    Spray adhesive 505. If you haven't tried it yet, you are in for a pleasant surprise. There is also fusible batting that is also good to work with.
    Agreed! I used 505 on two full-sized quilts and it was wonderful!! Good luck and have fun! :D :D

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I pin smaller things and hand baste larger ones....I do not do any spray chemicals...or fusible batting!

I tried pinning (ouch), spraying (gag), etc., but for free motion quilting (on my domestic machine) I have settled on this for all sizes of quilts:

1) The backing needs to be secured either with spray or with fusible fleece (I love the fusible)

2) pin the front in wide set rows as far apart as the fabric will allow, perhaps 10" apart, allowing for the directions you want to stitch (see below);

3) starting in the middle and with a slow speed, machine baste with long stitches (about 3" long) and work to the corners first; this allows you to insure that your fabric is still smooth. Sometimes I find myself even stopping, straightening the fabric (or the way it last stitched) and going on from there. It's best to have an idea of your final plan so you don't baste where you want to put your final quilting stitches, but the basting is easy to pull out if you do overlap.

4) when both sides have been checked, choose the stitch you want and quilt where you want.

This almost takes as long to do as to put the procedure down here!

Hope this is helpful.

i always spray baste everything i quilt and only use 505 spray

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by penski
    i always spray baste everything i quilt and only use 505 spray
    Agreed !! - and it washs out easily

Quote Originally Posted by totosmom
    Good morning. I've been practicing my FMQ for a while now and feel I am ready to tackle that table runner I'm working on. For a normal quilt, I have always pin basted it together, but for FMQ, I'm thinking that just won't work.

So, for those of you who have done this before, how would you baste a table runner for FMQ? I'm eager to hear all the possibilities.

Dorothy in PA
    I pin baste and just remove the safety pins as I go.
    Sharon W.

I wish you lots of luck and looking forward to hearing how it turns out.

Kas
    I haven't tried spray basting, but I always pin baste for FMQing. I try to pin around my marked motif so I don't have to move pins to quilt. I do remove them before I get to them if the space is just too tight. I have heard good things about spray basting, but with the expense and the mess, I don't think it is for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra
    I tried pinning (ouch), spraying (gag), etc., but for free motion quilting (on my domestic machine) I have settled on this for all sizes of quilts:

1) The backing needs to be secured either with spray or with fusible fleece (I love the fusible)

2) pin the front in wide set rows as far apart as the fabric will allow, perhaps 10" apart, allowing for the directions you want to stitch (see below);

3) starting in the middle and with a slow speed, machine baste with long stitches (about 3" long) and work to the corners first; this allows you to insure that your fabric is still smooth. Sometimes I find myself even stopping, straightening the fabric (or the way it last stitched) and going on from there. It's best to have an idea of your final plan so you don't baste where you want to put your final quilting stitches, but the basting is easy to pull out if you do overlap.

4) when both sides have been checked, choose the stitch you want and quilt where you want.

This almost takes as long to do as to put the procedure down here!

Hope this is helpful.
    That is so interesting. How do you get 3" stitches on your domestic machine??

thanks to this board i have discovered 505 spray basting. It makes it sooo much easier!!

I agree, spray baste, especially something small.

I love the 505 spray baste.......there isn't any strong odor and cleans up easily. I used another one a short while ago and glued my fingers together.....kinda funny but the can went right in the rubbish :)

Wash away thread! Wish I'd thought of that! I use Sharon Scamber's basting technique exclusively now, but never got out of my box with thread. Thanks.

Dorothy, I'm from southern Blair County. What LQS do you like to go to?

Blog Entries
    There is something called a basting gun and I was wondering if anyone here uses one to baste? Do you like it?

I was told it's fast and it's easy to remove the little plastic tags when finished quilting. If this is true, it might be nice to have one.

Quote Originally Posted by sgreen511
    Dorothy, I'm from southern Blair County. What LQS do you like to go to?
    Hi Sue. We have two shops in town (Beford), Unique Stitches and Mary's Quilt Shop. I also go to Sewing Solutions in Cessna and The Quilt Peddler in Johnstown. For supplies I go to Joann's in Jtown, but the quality of their material doesn't match the quilt shops.

How 'bout you? What shops do you frequent?

dorothy

Locally, I've been to Country Beefers and Traditions. I buy supplies at Joann's in Altoona, also. I'm starting Midnight Floral Fantasy by Karen Kay Buckley and need to buy a variety of colors and a lot of applique backing material and was curious about other shops in the area.

When you are free motion quilting you usually have your feed dogs down (but not always, sometimes you can control better if they aren't), so, either way, you control how long your basting stitch is going to be. You also control how fast you are going to go (you always have this in your control) so you can go down-up and stop, move your quilt sandwich a bit and go down-up a few inches away. I go pretty fast now (hope I'm not getting cocky!). ALWAYS start in the center and work out to the edges.

The trick is to be sure you are moving the entire sandwich and not just the top. That is why you need some pins in your sandwich before you begin machine basting. But, you can maneuver according to the size of your little quilt platform (my Janome 6600 is 9" to the right of the needle, 15" on the left of the needle, and the platform is 15" deep; so I have 24x15" of stable working platform around my needle. That is plenty of space to be able to keep the fabric smooth with your hands while you baste 3" lengths, pin to pin even if the pins are 10" apart.

I find myself lifting all 3 layers of the quilt (only near the needle) just a tiny bit to make sure it is smooth and not torqued or caught in any way. It becomes automatic, but first try it on a hot pad size and see how it works for you.

When you are done, or when you get wondering if it is going smoothly, put a bunch of stitches close (not on top of) to each other and take it out, turn it over and double check. I pretty much don't do that until I'm done now because I'm more sure than I was at first. If there is a pucker it takes only a moment to a minute to undo the stitches from the pucker to the outside edge or to the last good stitch because your stitches are so big. The you can resew, perhaps adding a pin or 2 as needed.

Having said all this I will admit that I have pretty bad arthritis and if I pin a lot (especially thru a 3 layer sandwich) I've used up my hands for the day and they'll hurt for several days. So, if this isn't a method used by many maybe its a "necessity is the mother of invention" sort of thing.

If you use double sided fusible fleece, check to make sure it all looks good on both sides (and it does) then you don't have to do any basting. I also have asthma and the sprays sort of scare me.

Hope this is clear enough. If not, ask questions and I'll try to answer soon. DON'T ask for pictures. I'm not smart enough to get one out of my mac and onto QB
    :? :?

Blog Entries
    I use 505 basting spray...that is the only brand I have used, and the reviews I have seen say it is the best, and will not "gunk up" machine, needle, etc...I am pretty new to fmq, so have to be sure and say that, too...I have done several smaller projects, and 2 quilts, all ok, so far...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast