Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Basting with fusible interfacing ... >
  • Basting with fusible interfacing ...

• Basting with fusible interfacing ...

Old 10-02-2011, 07:02 AM

Not having seen the show you are talking about, I can’t tell if you really meant to say they used fusible interfacing…or if they actually used fusible web. I don’t know why anyone would want to add interfacing to a quilt sandwich, let alone on both sides, so I have to guess they used fusible web, which is solely an adhesive.

With that assumption in mind, fuse basting sandwiches has been used by many art quilters for years, most often with Misty Fuse (a very light, paperless fusible web) because it's so easy to cut or tear into small pieces and space around before fusing. Some fuse the entire front and spots on the back a hand-span or so apart. Art quilters, however, are not always concerned with the drape of their work, so spot fusing would probably be the way to go for utility quilts.

I personally think a random pattern is better, less predictable, but evenly spaced strips would work just as well...maybe not line the front ones up with the back ones though to avoid any chance of fusing to the fusible on the other side. You really don't need any more coverage than you do with pins.

With paperless fusible you don't have to fuse it twice, just toss it down and press lightly one time. You can also remove the paper from WonderUnder, etc. and treat it the same way as MF. You aren't trying to make a permanent fuse, just enough to hold it together while you quilt it, so don't smash it down with a hot iron. Five seconds should be enough, more like tack fusing.

And as for the 'dimples' question, I've never had that happen, but can't say it's not possible. I do know there is a risk of fusing to the scrim of any batting that has one (W&N, W&W, Legacy, and others) and that will very likely cause dimples and pock marks. Because the scrim should always be on the backside of your quilt anyway, this, combined with a light hand with the iron, should avoid a problem. It is, however, probably worth testing beforehand on a small scrap sandwich. The results will depend on both the batting and the fusible used, along with time and heat of the iron.

I love this technique. No basting headaches, nothing to remove after quilting, no aerosol fumes or overspray, no tucks or puckers...what's not to love??! :D
    Old 10-02-2011, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
    Not having seen the show you are talking about, I can’t tell if you really meant to say they used fusible interfacing…or if they actually used fusible web. I don’t know why anyone would want to add interfacing to a quilt sandwich, let alone on both sides, so I have to guess they used fusible web, which is solely an adhesive.

With that assumption in mind, fuse basting sandwiches has been used by many art quilters for years, most often with Misty Fuse (a very light, paperless fusible web) because it's so easy to cut or tear into small pieces and space around before fusing. Some fuse the entire front and spots on the back a hand-span or so apart. Art quilters, however, are not always concerned with the drape of their work, so spot fusing would probably be the way to go for utility quilts.

I personally think a random pattern is better, less predictable, but evenly spaced strips would work just as well...maybe not line the front ones up with the back ones though to avoid any chance of fusing to the fusible on the other side. You really don't need any more coverage than you do with pins.

With paperless fusible you don't have to fuse it twice, just toss it down and press lightly one time. You can also remove the paper from WonderUnder, etc. and treat it the same way as MF. You aren't trying to make a permanent fuse, just enough to hold it together while you quilt it, so don't smash it down with a hot iron. Five seconds should be enough, more like tack fusing.

And as for the 'dimples' question, I've never had that happen, but can't say it's not possible. I do know there is a risk of fusing to the scrim of any batting that has one (W&N, W&W, Legacy, and others) and that will very likely cause dimples and pock marks. Because the scrim should always be on the backside of your quilt anyway, this, combined with a light hand with the iron, should avoid a problem. It is, however, probably worth testing beforehand on a small scrap sandwich. The results will depend on both the batting and the fusible used, along with time and heat of the iron.

I love this technique. No basting headaches, nothing to remove after quilting, no aerosol fumes or overspray, no tucks or puckers...what's not to love??! :D
    HI ... guess I typed 'interfacing' cuz that is where the fusible webs are found at Joanns. But yes fusible web, like wonder under etc. And Nancy did a fast tack, without explaining if she was doing it fast for the reasons you mentioned or if she was just in a hurry for the tv camera.

I haven't tried it yet but agree about nice to not have fumes and over-spray, wrinkles, tucks or puckers. I've heard of Misty Fuse but never used it, I'll be sure to see if Joanns carries it. Thanks.

I'm glad that I saw the episode.

And thanks for the recommendation of a 'fast press tack'!