Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Basting thread >

Basting thread

Basting thread

Old 09-03-2010, 06:23 PM

In Sharon Schamber's videos on basting a quilt, she recommends using DMC tatting thread. That thread is size 80 according to the DMC web site. I have some DMC cordonnet that is size 50 and if crochet thread follows the same rules as sewing thread, it should be thicker than the tatting thread. But I would swear, from looking at the video, that the thread she is using is much thicker than this cordonnet. Am I crazy, or what?

Also, she referred to it as being 'rough' and therefore snugging into the layers nicely. Is that due to the 'long staple cotton' used in the tatting thread? Am I making too big a deal out of this? I've always used safety pins and if I switch to this method, I want to do it right.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:49 PM

No your not crazy,, I'm pretty sure she said she was using a heavier wgt for the video and that she normally used tatting thread
Old 09-03-2010, 07:07 PM

Hmm, I have Sharon Schamber's beginning feathering video and in it she shows basting with #12 Perle cotton.

I got some and have tried it on a couple of small pieces so far. I like it MUCH better than pin basting. It's easier on my fingers both when basting and when removing the basting. Plus, there are no pins to get caught when I'm quilting. I think her method of basting is actually faster than pin basting too.