Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Batik backing for batik quilt top?

If you are making a quilt top with all batik fabrics, Is it important to also use a batik backing, or will other cotton fabric do as well? My LQS sells batik backing fabric for $17.98. Ouch! I don't blame her, I'm sure her prices are quite high. But if I can use other regular good cotton LQS fabric, it sure would be a cost savings.

Do whatever looks good to you. :)

You don't have to and u can also do a pieced backing either with the same fabric or with some of the fabrics on the top and then a backing. It really is up to you. I like to piece my backing. But that is me.

Since it's your quilt, you can do anything you're happy with! No quilt police here.

If you really want batik for the backing, there are a lot of online shops that sell it for a lot less than your LQS. Or is that price for 108" wide fabric?

Oh! precious picture of the baby!!!

It is their 108" I think I can find some regular 108" fabric that will look good with it. I've been told to not mix Batik and regular cotton on the quilt top. Just wanted to know if there's any reason to not use regular cotton on the back.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by merrylouw
    Since it's your quilt, you can do anything you're happy with! No quilt police here.

If you really want batik for the backing, there are a lot of online shops that sell it for a lot less than your LQS. Or is that price for 108" wide fabric?

Blog Entries
    I mix batiks with quilting cottons all of the time, without any problems :D:D:D

Well Yea! I'm glad to hear that. That opens a lot more options.

Quote Originally Posted by amma

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dee

I do too! Who said you can't??

Why wouldn't you be able to?

I use whatever color suits my quilt best...if it is a regular peice...fine..if it is batik fine...I have never had a problem..we wash our quilts all the time. I would just say to put color cachers or retayne in the first wash...after that...no problems. The batik tends to soften up after about 2-3 washes...in my experience.

I mix batik with regular cotton fabric too. Never thought about not doing it...
    Works fine for me.

Thanks for the info. The LQS ladies told me to not mix batik and regular cotton in a quilt top. They said the texture is different and would not stretch and shrink the same when washed. Today they told me I need Batik backing for a batiq quilt top -- they didn't explain that one.

Quote Originally Posted by charismah
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dee

I do too! Who said you can't??

Why wouldn't you be able to?

I use whatever color suits my quilt best...if it is a regular peice...fine..if it is batik fine...I have never had a problem..we wash our quilts all the time. I would just say to put color cachers or retayne in the first wash...after that...no problems. The batik tends to soften up after about 2-3 washes...in my experience.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast