Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Batiks and machine quilting questions >

Batiks and machine quilting questions

Batiks and machine quilting questions

Old 01-09-2015, 12:07 PM

Default Batiks and machine quilting questions

Recently, I was looking at blogs that had free motion quilting on batiks. I cannot remember where it was that brought this up and is now causing me to ask those of you here. The person domestic machine quilts and stated that batiks create problems with the needles/thread in FMQ with thread breaking, needles breaking and such due to density of the fiber. She stated she used a top stitch needle(# 80 I think or something like that). I looked on other googled sites to see about this. Some said that they switched to sharp needles,but it caused micro tears in fabric, some continued with round end needles, with certain thread weights,ect. Anyway, I knew from being a hand quilter that I would wait on using my collected batiks due to the density of the fibers for when I learned FMQ. I have been working at FMQ with my Juki and I am getting better at it. I am going to cutting a pattern in another month to use my batiks.It never entered my head about the issues that could arise due to using batks on domestic machine quilting when I knew from it and hand quilting.

I tried to find answers here on the board using the search as I always do,but nothing connected to my worried and confused thoughts about this. I know I see so many wonderful domestic machine quilters here displaying their work on batiks, so I thought maybe you guys could offer your thoughts, tips and the way you go about needles(types,numbers) thread type and weight ect. OR if you even had this type of problem? Thanks and I look forward to reading your opinions and experiences.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:42 PM

I've made quilts with all batiks on the top and a batik on the back. I've made quilts mixing batiks and quilter's cotton.

I've never had a problem. I use Superior thread (King Tut/Rainbows/Masterpiece with a matching Bottom Line in the bobbin) and follow the instructions on the cone for which needle to use.
Old 01-09-2015, 01:29 PM
Power Poster

Batiks are definitely a tighter weave, but I've never had a problem. I think, however, that it depends on your machine. They seem to have different quirks, even different machines of the same make & model. When you cut your quilt, you will have some scraps, so do some testing on YOUR machine. You may see a need to use a different needle or thread type to piece. Then do some fmq testing. Just be prepared to do some experimentation if needed.
Old 01-09-2015, 01:38 PM
Power Poster

It is figuring out what works best for you DSM. I have a Bernina 1530 and use Mettler Silk wrapped with a 90/40 Schmetz needles and I have never had a problem.
Old 01-09-2015, 01:42 PM

I have a Juki2010 and have never had a problem with batiks and breakage of thread or needles. I use Schmetz needles and usually Sulky thread. I have bent needles but that is thru free motion and my fault for pulling the material faster than I'm stitching with the needle.
Old 01-09-2015, 02:42 PM

I've fmq batiks front and back on my Bernina without any problem. Didn't so anything different and it worked.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:31 PM

I started FMQ not too long after learning to sew really. About 19 months ago. I almost immediately started FMQ on batiks because I like them. Never had a problem. You may be overthinking this. I use poly embroidery thread.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:46 PM

I have done several batik quilts - the most recent was a double sided quilt with batiks on both sides and I've never had a problem. Needle? The same size 12 I use for everything. Thread? Preferred in polyester embroidery thread, but I'll use whatever color matches what I'm doing from rayon (not a favorite because of the lack of strength) to C&C poly covered cotton.
Old 01-10-2015, 12:49 AM

I use batiks a lot, because I love the colours, used them for tops and as backing, FMQ'd on old tatty Janome, never had a problem, usual needle and threads, if I do any straight line quilting, the only thing I change is my stitch length.
Old 01-10-2015, 01:47 AM

I use batiks constantly and it's never actually entered my head to change anything to treat them any differently than I do using ordinary quilting fabric!

I choose my needle according to the thread I want to quilt with - for 50wt I usually use a 80/12 Quilting needle, for 40wt a 90/14 Quilting or Topstitch needle. For metallic thread I always use a Topstich 90/14 (or Metallic needle if I have any - essentially the same) and have just recently tried the Superior Titanium Topstitch (not quite sure yet if the extra expense is justified). Happy quilting!