Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Batting for baby quilt?

Batting for baby quilt?

I need to make a baby quilt but am wondering about what batting to use. I use warm & natural for adult quilts. What kind of batting do you recommend for a baby quilt?

Thanks, Marilee

same here - whatever leftovers I have that will fit the baby quilt - that's what I use. Since I usually use Hobbs 80/20 that's what ends up in mine.
    So many quilts, so little time.

Hobbs 80/20 or Mountain mist polly
    I have also used Warm and Natural but it tends to be too heavy and stiff. My DD uses it for her baby as a play floor quilt or for the baby to sleep on in her crib.
    Anna Quilts

They do have special flame resistant batting, but as they have found out with furniture the chemicals used can be trouble. I use warm and natural, just make sure you don't use polyester because it melts when it burns.

The main thing for babies is that the batting must be natural rather than synthetic. I always use bamboo or a cotton/bamboo blend because then you get some of the antiseptic properties of the bamboo - it's also a lovely soft batting.