Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Batting for hand quilting >
  • Batting for hand quilting

• Batting for hand quilting

Old 02-04-2011, 07:51 AM

Good morning all. I'm new to hand quilting and have been practicing very hard. Just getting ready to hand quilt my first quilt. But I am not sure what is the best batting to use. Its a civil war quilt so I think I'd like it to be low loft. Any suggestions?Wool, silk, cotton??????? Thanks in advance!!!
    Old 02-04-2011, 08:04 AM
    Cyn

I think the best stuff I have found is thermore but I have thrown out the package so I'm not sure this is the name. It comes in a silver bag. Maybe someone here knows what it is called. It's thin and can be quilted 10-12 inches apart according to the package.
    Old 02-04-2011, 08:08 AM

Quilter's Dream Request weight. Quilts like butter, very thin and very flat.
    Old 02-04-2011, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Cyn
    I think the best stuff I have found is thermore but I have thrown out the package so I'm not sure this is the name. It comes in a silver bag. Maybe someone here knows what it is called. It's thin and can be quilted 10-12 inches apart according to the package.
    Thermore is by Hobbs. Usually available at Hobby Lobby. I've heard that wool is very nice. Unfortunately, I'm not a hand quilter. I don't sit still very well. I worship hand quilters! :thumbup: :D
    Old 02-04-2011, 08:14 AM

I hand quilt and use Warm & Natural. I've not had a problem quilting it at all. I have found some betweens that are a dream to quilt with. John James Gold n Glide. They are awesome!!!!! Awesome!!!! Best of all you can get them with the big eyes, for us that are eye challenged. :-D
    Old 02-04-2011, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by sewcrafty
    .......Best of all you can get them{john James needles} with the big eyes, for us that are eye challenged. :-D

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

that's funny, because that's exactly why i get those, too!!

I do know that i hate Mountain Mist polyester batting...I have used Warm & Natural w/no complaints - would like to try the Hobbs, and maybe will on my next project. Although, I'd rather buy batting on the roll where i can get closer to the size i want and have less waste - I hate waste, it's like money sitting around that i can't spend
    Old 02-04-2011, 09:20 AM
    Power Poster

Wool and silk are both supposed to be like "quilting through butter" for hand quilters.

Hobbs 80/20 and the Quilter's Dream Request someone else mentioned are both very good for hand quilters.

Some people hand quilt Warm n Natural, but it is actually harder to needle than the ones above because of the scrim in it.
    Old 02-04-2011, 09:31 AM

I like Quilter's Dream Request or Select for hand quilting. I know a lot of people like Warm and Natural, but I found it hard to needle, and the quilt was very heavy when done. That's just my opinion, though, and it may work very well for you and be just what you want for your quilt! I also have used Hancock Fabrics own brand (sorry, I can't remember the name) and found it very easy to needle. I prefer a cotton or cotton blend regardless of the brand (although I've heard wool is a dream to quilt).
    Old 02-04-2011, 09:34 AM

I just used Thermore on a quilt that I sandwiched last night. Although it is thin, I didn't like the fact that it was folded in the packaging and some of the fold creases wouldn't straighten out. Haven't quilted it yet. (Plan to machine quilt it.)
    Old 02-04-2011, 01:28 PM

How far apart can you quilt on a Warm and Natural Batting with OUT scrim? I've only used that with scrim, and I quilt 6 inches apart or less.