Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Batting Question

Blog Entries

Batting Question

Getting ready to sandwich a quilt - 94 x 104. Queen size batting is 90 x 108. King size batting is 120 x 124. Is it possible to stretch the queen enough to make it work? I hate to cut off so much of the King size (although I know I would use it for something).

Another idea. I may have enough scrap batting that I could sew the needed inches to the queen size to make it large enough.
    Anyway, I need your opinion. What should I do? Thanks.

I would add the scraps. I have done that a number of times. You will probably need it on the 104" also, as 2" is not much of a margin.

Power Poster
    I just finished a queen size quilt that the batt wasn't quite big enough. I rotary cut the batt edge and a 12 piece off another batt and zig zagged them together. It was only a scrap quilt in dark colours. I would use the batting tape if the quilt had light enough colours that the join might show through.

Do not stretch it. Batting normally shrinks during washing. If you stretch it to fit and then it shrinks you may have major waves and bumps.

If you try to stretch it, you also run the risk of tearing it...never a good situation. I would either buy the king size and save the extra for the next time, or add to the queen size.

My mother and I tend to make oversized queen quilts all the time. I just add more of the same type batting to the queen size to make them large enough without stretching. Once the quilt is quilted, you can't tell it is pieced.
    Laurlyn
    Innova 26" w/LS

Packaged batting is always a bit bigger. If you want to add scraps, it is best to use batting from the same manufacturer. I use Hobbs. I cut a +2" strip of lightweight fusible interfacing. I overlap the pieces and cut with a rotary cutter. This creates a perfect match when the two pieces are butted together. I then fuse the seam with the strip of fusible. When I use to zig zag, I could feel where the sections were stitched thru the quilt. You won't be able to feel this seam. I do overkill and fuse the interfacing on both sides. Good Luck !!!
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I agree with the others, stretching is NOT a good idea.
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

Blog Entries
    Thank you, everyone, for your advise.

Blog Entries
    If your top is 94x104 you will want your batting to be about 98x108. Just add a strip and you'll be fine. Or buy the king size and cut it down.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast