Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: batting

Smile batting

Hi All
    I love Warm and Natural or Warm and White....however...DH would like something thicker/fluffier for the quilt I am making for our bed. I don't want really fluffy, LOL, but a little loftier than the Warm and Natural/White product would be a good compromise. Suggestions? Hopefuly something that washes and wears as well as Warm and Natural/White does? Thanks everyone.

Blog Entries
    You might try two layers of Hobbs 80/20, it is light and fluffy, unless you went to a medium loft poly batting. Two layers of W&N would make it really heavy and difficult to wash and dry.

I use two layers of batting. One Warm and natural and one , a low loft poly onthe top. Do be advised I use a Long Arm pro every time I double bat. The thickeness is just too much for a full size quilt and a domestic machine.

Blog Entries
    I prefer Hobbs 80/20. A single layer is both fluffier and lighter than Warm and Natural, plus it has a softer drape. Hobbs wool or Quilters Dream wool is supposed to be *really* nice -- light but fluffy, and warm. I have the wool, but haven't tried it yet.

I would recommend Hobbs wool. It is light and fluffy and washes well. I had bought a roll of it several years ago and was sad to use it up. The only suggestion I would make is to baste closer together if you quilt on a domestic machine because I had some problems with pleats in the back if not pinned close enough - due to the extra loft.

I use high loft polyester batting, warm without the weight. I have used the hobbs polyester batting that connecting threads sells, I remember how thin it is, would be perfect for a summer quilt.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

i like soft n bright, made by warm n natural, its got a little polyester in it, beautiful to work with
    katz

wool batts are my favorite for (lofty) they are light weight- and so wonderful to work with! Dream Wool is my favorite...hobbs has a nice wool batt too- they breath- wash up beautifully---just make a fabulous quilt! there are some (pretty famous) award winning quilters out there who use a layer of cotton and a layer of wool batting so their fantastic quilting really shows off!
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy