Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Batting ??

A friend of mine asked me to make a quilt for him. He was specific in asking that the batting be light since he lives in Florida. I was thinking maybe 100% cotton batting or maybe the 95% cotton and 5% silk.

Any suggestions?

Lee

Morning Lee,
    Have you thought about using flannel? A good heavy weight flannel is about the most he'll need with the top and backing. Might be less expensive than a batting, but if you are going to use a batting, low loft cotton is my suggestion. Having lived there way back when, from Orlando down really doesn't want more than flannel.

Happy Quilting,
    Sharon

lin
    Mountain Mist low-loft poly is a fabulous batting to work with and it produces a very thin, light quilt. However, as I understand it, poly doesn't absorb and throw off the heat the way that a natural fiber does, such as cotton or wool, so it tends to be "hot" no matter how thin. It "seems" to be lighter weight and therefore not so warm to sit under, but that could be misleading.

Hopefully someone else here can confirm or deny what I've heard re poly batting.

I've never used flannel as a batting, but the more I hear about it from all you who have used it, the more interested I am in trying it out. :)

I live in central FL and would not use cotton batting because it smells funky when humidity stays high. I have had no problems with poly batting, so it isn't the fabric.

It may not be a problem if they do not like having windows open.