Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Batting

I want to make a quilt for my granddaughter who has just moved into a double bed. What is the warmest machine quilt batting I could use?

Blog Entries
    I don't use it, but wool is probably one of the warmest.

dream wool!
    fleece also works wonderfully and boy is it warm!

Blog Entries
    Yes, I think wool is the warmest.

Be careful if you choose wool. I myself would only use Hobbs, but some have posted that Quilter's Dream wool is good too. Other brands may be more likely to beard or shrink unevenly.

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl
    dream wool!
    fleece also works wonderfully and boy is it warm!
    Are you using the fleece as a batting or do you just back it with the fleece making a 2 layer quilt? I just gave my niece a quilt and she says it's not warm. I noticed the last quilt I made for myself was not very warm either so I backed hers with flannel. I think both quilts were made with dream cotton. I need to keep better records.

What would you use if you just wanted a higher loft. I use all cotton batting, either Warm and Natural or the other big name 100% cotton one. I can't remember the name.

I don't want to do wool, wouldn't that shrink when washed, and poly you can't iron.

Suggestions?

I would not use wool, as it takes special care to wash or have it dry cleaned

Wool is definately the warmest. But not all wool battings are the same... Some are machine washable, some shrink ALOT, some shrink very little. DO a bit of reasearch and read the package very carefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Lori S
    Wool is definately the warmest. But not all wool battings are the same... Some are machine washable, some shrink ALOT, some shrink very little. DO a bit of reasearch and read the package very carefully.
    good advice,

I love wool. I hand quilt & my needles slide through it effortlessly. The first time I wash my quilt after its finished I dry it. This shrinks just enough to make my quilting pop. After that I recommend the recipients hang it to dry. Its very warm & snugly. Be sure to read the quilting recommendations. Ive also used it for my SID machine quilts.