Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
batting used for baby quilts? >

batting used for baby quilts?

batting used for baby quilts?

Old 07-23-2014, 04:15 AM

Read the wrapping on the batting at the store. You also need to take into account now closely it needs to be quilted to wear well. Cotton, unless it is bonded to a scrim, will sort of disintegrate over time and leave little lumps in your quilt if not quilted closely. Polyester is puffier and I actually prefer it for baby quilts. Warm and Natural is okay but flatter. You can also use fleece fabric for batting and also as batting and backing together, just one layer. There are lots off choices. Choose what fits your preferences and your purse.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:42 AM

I have recently tried a new one on a roll at JoAnn's. It has silicone in it. Loved the way it behaved and has a nice loft to it. I use a lot of those premeasured on a roll from JAF for narrower quilts as they are so easy to use without the awkward pieces left over.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:31 AM

I recently used a cotton/ bamboo (50/50) for a lap quilt for myself and if you can afford it, I believe it would make beautiful batting for a baby quilt. It is VERY soft and quilts like butter. It is also very lite weight.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:45 AM
Power Poster

I have used mountain mist. For the warmer states I use the lowest loft I can find. For the colder regions I use a higher loft. High loft is also great for a blanket that is used on the floor a lot
Old 07-23-2014, 06:56 AM
mim

I always use fiberfil for my quilts -- I have allergais in many of my family and even the fibers from cotton batting whing is a type of felt can cause an asthma attack for the reallt sensitive

Mim

Originally Posted by deeleigh View Post
Not having children of my own I am really stumped when I go and look at battings.I usually use Warm & Natural for most of my quilts but want something with alittle more puff for a baby quilt. I went to Hobby Lobby and after looking at all battings came home with Mountain Mist Ultra fine 100% poly.it says it is crib size so quessed it would be ok.I just need to be sure. You ladies are so smart and have helped a self taught quilter alot.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:52 AM

I use the same batting for my baby quilts as I use for larger quilts. Often I use the larger batting scraps from the big quilts and use the iron on tape to join the pieces and Taa-Dah!! plenty of batting for the baby quilt.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:26 AM

I use 100% Warm & Natural cotton on all my quilts now, especially for baby quilts. I like it because the cotton breathes, it washes nice & is not too heavy for a baby quilt used in warm or cold climates.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:30 AM

I love making baby quilts and use Hobbs 80/20. Softer and puffier than Warm and Natural. Have fun.
Old 07-23-2014, 01:39 PM

I typically use Warm & Natural for baby quilts because parents don't want the chemicals in it for bleaching. I haven't tried the bamboo yet. I also like the Quilters Dream washable wool. It really shows the quilting nicely and is more breathable. Plus, I can get wool in natural black.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by junegerbracht View Post
I love making baby quilts and use Hobbs 80/20. Softer and puffier than Warm and Natural. Have fun.
I like Hobbs 80/20 plus it's made here in Texas so I'm supporting my state & cotton farmers here.