Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Becoming more selective in my projects  Win Win Win >

Becoming more selective in my projects Win Win Win

Becoming more selective in my projects Win Win Win

Old 07-26-2013, 01:38 AM

About 15 yr ago, I got rid of all my flannel. Now I've got some back again. I'm glad I got rid of it at that time. And I wish I'd been more selective in getting some more. If I don't use it this winter, I think I'll free up some space again.

Congratulations on moving forward and keeping that material useful by giving it to someone who would use it.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:45 AM
Power Poster

I'm finishing up some baby blankets with the flannel I have. Then I'm done.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:48 AM
Power Poster

it is nice to pass on scraps every now & then to free up your mind (and some of the clutter) scraps do tend to multiply quickly and can start weighing a person down. to de-clutter & pass them on is good for the soul. it seems like I go through *phases* with different colors/ themes --- like pansies...I made 5 or 6 different quilts with a lot of pansy fabric...and still had scraps...finally pulled them out thinking...I Never want to make another pansy quilt- I am so tired of these fabrics! so they went into a scrap box to be donated somewhere...went through it with black & whites, pinks (we have soooooo many girls in the family & now the girls are grown & starting to have babies...& wouldn't you know...more girls! geesh) anyhow--- quite liberating & encouraging to de-clutter & pass them on- makes room for something new & helps out someone else at the same time...good for you! I try to get rid of some scraps every month.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:28 AM

I said on the board a few weeks ago that I wanted to get rid of scraps so 2 people pm me . One changed their mind then the other lady is in Ontario so better for shipping. I spent hours trying to arrange cheap delivery but finally sent thru the post office because the Greyhound Bus didn't go to her city. The 14 pounds of scraps should arrive today so I am anxious to hear her comments and I'm relieved they are gone. Not flannels.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:00 AM

I have fabric in my stash that I bought when I first started quilting and my taste in colors seems to have changed over the years. So when the Iowa State Fair asked for donations of at least 2 yards for quilt backs a few years ago, I have sent them fabric every year. They have children & adults sewing quilt tops for charity.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:17 PM

Good evening :-)

I want to thank everyone for the affirmations. Yesterday I played in my quilting cotton making four patch blocks and thinking of Mary Ellen Hopkins' advice to enjoy the process. These blocks will eventually be used in a charity quilt pattern paintmejudy graciously gave us last December.

Payday is approaching and I will purchase new 3M brand command strips for my design wall. Yes, I made the mistake of putting the sticky part on the batting. Duh! The mistake isn't the end of the world and I did learn something.

Piecefully yours,
Kay
Old 07-27-2013, 04:25 PM

good for you! I just went through all my fabrics and hate to say there are a more than a few yards in there that I just did not like. I've scaled down some by offering it to my other quilting buddies. I just don't want to use up precious space with stuff I know I will never use. Pass it on, Pay it forward - whatever we must do to stay organized!