Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Selective quilting :) >

Selective quilting :)

Selective quilting :)

Old 02-23-2013, 12:33 PM

Default Selective quilting :)

I am one of those people who has multiple projects in the works. I am easily distracted by pretty fabrics, new patterns or tutorials, etc. I have a very small home and usually have to pack up all my stuff at the end of my sewing day (or weekend).

I have a few baby quilts that I need to finish quilting (whole other setup for me when I quilt that adds at least an hour of setup/take down time when I do the quilting and I'm just not up to that at the moment). I have been trying to finish these for a few weeks now, but things don't always work out as one plans.

I have been sick the past few days (strep) and while lounging in bed I kept staring at my machine and really wanted to do something (anything) to feel like I got to use some of my time at home to pick away at my endless list of projects. I decided to do a little piecing on my batik log cabin quilt. This one is for my bed, which I am ashamed to say after the dozens of quilts I've made, none are for my bed. Well...after ripping apart the same block 4 times because I kept putting strips on in the wrong order, I gave up on the blocks and decided to do something "safe" that I wouldn't screw up. So I started piecing strips for the piano key border. It's random, made with strips left over from the top. I am very pleased that since Thursday, I have completed 400 inches of piano key border! I even managed to fix the screwed up block and made 2 additional blocks. I only have 6 more blocks to go. With any luck, I will have this quilt on my bed during this calendar year.

I guess with all this rambling what I wanted to say is that if one thing isn't going well for you, work on something easy to help you feel like you accomplished something, even if it wasn't what you were hoping to work on.

Have a nice day.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:43 PM

Wow that's great. Isn't it funny how things work out sometimes. Good for you. Hope you get better soon too!
Old 02-23-2013, 02:30 PM

How big are you planning to make the quilt?! 400 inches of border...wow!

I am glad you got to make use of your home time in a way both productive AND fun (unlike, say, doing the laundry).

Alison
Old 02-23-2013, 02:44 PM

Hope you are feeling better. I find that is a good way to approach the problem, seems like when something goes wrong it just continues to go wrong. Better to step back and regroup.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:06 PM

That's one of the reasons why I like working on several projects at once. Hope you feel better soon.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:38 PM

Glad to hear I am not alone in being easily distracted by new ideas. I usually have several quilts in progress at a given time. Good luck with the log cabin and feel better soon.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by alisonquilts View Post
How big are you planning to make the quilt?! 400 inches of border...wow!

I am glad you got to make use of your home time in a way both productive AND fun (unlike, say, doing the laundry).

Alison
Ha ha, did some laundry too...ran out of the comfy clothes!

It's about 100x100. A little larger than I needed it, but I made the blocks with jelly roll strips and because I wanted a barn raising pattern, I needed to do an even number of rows for the pattern to look right. So it's 6x6 block layout of 14" blocks, 2" inner border and 6" piano key border. I can't get a picture right now of the sketch. I did it up in Quilt Wizard, but can't find a way to get a jpg or bmp out of it.