Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bernina owners...  Help please >

Bernina owners... Help please

Bernina owners... Help please

Old 07-10-2015, 06:19 AM
Power Poster

I would try doing a sample without the BSR.
Old 07-10-2015, 11:28 AM

I like to free motion quilt without the BSR. I just drop the feed dogs and loosen the tension. I always use test piece to check tension top and bottom and adjust until I like it!!!
Old 07-10-2015, 07:37 PM

So DON'T use the BSR? Really? I don't think I can keep my speed consistent. Won't it make my stitches long and short? I really thought the BSR was supposed to be a good thing, but I'll try it. Thanks!
Old 07-11-2015, 04:36 AM

I quit using my BSR. It was too slow and I had problems. As stated above, you have to play around with the tension on test swatch. I even test it between bobbins. I use a Microtex needle 90/40 and find they work much better.
Old 07-11-2015, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingbuddy View Post
So when you adjust the bobbin after you've tightened the top tension you are loosening the bobbin tension right? And thanks for the tip on taking a pic to remember how to put it back. I think this just might work.
I have taken several classes on how to use the BSR. Every instructor has recommended buying a second bobbin casing that you can adjust to be used for machine quilting only. They're expensive but was told that with two you can have one for piecing or regular sewing as repeated adjustments over time the threads on the screw get stripped. Has anyone else been told this as well?
Old 07-11-2015, 05:03 AM

I have had these problems on the bottom when free motion quilting with several brands of sewimg machines; sit down and DSM. I am always told by the dealers
that it is because I am sewing too fast. Can't get any slower. Frustrating.

I have a second bobin for my Janome 7700. It has helped but still have the problem at times. Been told to get a second bobbin for my SD so as not to mess up the original.

Also been told that it might be caused by the bobbin not being wound tight enough.

Last edited by Fastpedal; 07-11-2015 at 05:07 AM.
Old 07-11-2015, 06:02 AM

I don't know how the bobbin could not be wound tight enough if the machine does the winding. And who knew there were classes on the BSR? I don't think I've ever heard of that through my dealer. I'm going to fiddle around with the bobbin today and see what I come up with. I do have a second bobbin case so I'll try using that one and moving the screw. I was told it was for "thread play" so I wouldn't have thought to try it for this.
Old 07-11-2015, 06:47 AM

I've marked my bobbin tension screw to "factory settings" with a toothpick dipped in a bright nail polish. One dab on the top and bottom of the screwdriver line. Hasn't worn off.
Old 07-11-2015, 12:34 PM

I do better with my fmq when I plug in the foot without activating the BSR. I drop my feed dogs and adjust the foot pressure and do a trial patch. You soon learn to pace for the best stitch. Regulate the speed till you are comfortable and don't go too fast. Good luck.
Old 07-11-2015, 01:59 PM
Power Poster

I've adjusted the screw on my bobbin case for the last 10 years on my older Bernina, never had a problem getting it set back to regular sewing. I don't see how 2 bobbins would be foolproof because you are using different threads and batts on different quilts?