Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bernina owners: new ruler foot >

Bernina owners: new ruler foot

Bernina owners: new ruler foot

Old 07-24-2015, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by OhCanada View Post
I've had my 440 for at least 8 years so I don't think it is under warranty any longer - but I certainly don't want to have to bring it in for repairs!
I don't know about the older machines, but the dealer I've been talking to about buying a new Bernina said it comes with a 20 year mechanical warranty. So at least some things are still covered on an 8-year old machine.
Old 07-24-2015, 05:40 PM

Risk damaging your machine..................I don't think so. Repairs are very expensive, not worth the risk. IMHO.
Old 07-25-2015, 06:35 AM

I wouldn't even take the chance
Old 07-28-2015, 04:02 PM

I got the foot today from my dealer. She gave me the same information (warnings) she gave you. She also shared with me that a Bernina DSM user/customer has done several quilts successfully with this foot. Valerie, I have sent you a Private Message.
Old 07-29-2015, 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by Alice PD View Post
I have also made my own ruler foot for my Bernina 830 by using Foot 26 and gluing a 1/4 inch steel spacer (bought at Local Hardware Store) to it. It works fine, but I cannot do a full circle because the foot interferes with moving the ruler behind it. The new Bernina Foot #96 looks perfect. I have used my make-shift foot to do crosshatch quilting among other designs. It is very useful. Because I am using the ruler, I can go a little quicker and my lines are perfect. Even straight lines are straighter. I would definitely buy this foot and have tried to find someone to sell it to me. No luck so far. I am always careful with my machine. Would you please share with me your dealers name and phone or email address?
Correction: I am correcting this post (I am the writer of it) The foot I modified was Foot 9. So sorry for my mistake.
Old 11-15-2015, 08:09 AM

This is a link to a video showing ruler work on a Bernina 350 - released in February, we have not had any issues
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6N6Mn_0d4Q
Old 11-15-2015, 09:48 AM

BillWest,
It looks like it would only work on small wall hangings or QAYG projects. Have you been able to use the rulers with a regular bed quilt? How did they work? Did you have to use a super thin batting? I am trying to imagine, but I own a 350 & I can barely fit half a lap quilt in the harp & still FMQ. At times, I have the quilt overlapping my right hand to make enough space for me to hold the quilt. For sure, limited harp space is the worst feature about Berninas.
Old 11-15-2015, 01:42 PM

What we have done is to provide a means to enable Domestic Machine owners to quilt free motion with a template. Yes, some machines do have a small harp space and QAYG will work perfectly well as would Childrens quilts and Lap quilts.
There are literally thousands of Domestic Machines that have larger harp space and can quilt larger projects. The Bernina 7 and 8 series offer Presser Foot Pressure adjustments and when combined with our Medium Shank Ruler Foot, can quilt of a variety of batting thickness's. We found the Bernina 350 worked very well when we filmed the video.