Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bernina Quilt Frame >

Bernina Quilt Frame

Bernina Quilt Frame

Old 01-02-2014, 08:16 PM

Default Bernina Quilt Frame

Considering buying one for my Bernina 820. Is it easy to put up and take down? Don't have a lot of space so was thinking of setting up in living room, then taking down when not using. Also, if you own and use one, how do you like it? Do the 12 ft. bars collapse in size for storage?
Old 01-02-2014, 08:17 PM

I will follow this thread with interest -- I have an 830 and have wondered about the Bernina quilt frame too.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:25 PM

My experience is a bit limited with the Bernina frame, but it's not something that's meant to be put up and down a lot . It's made by Grace Co. for Bernina. It's a bit of a job to get it level and put together and you need to have the space for a permanent quilting area in your home. I don't think it would be something that should be moved frequently. Any frame that's in the 10 ft. to 12 ft range is not something that would be easy to move. There are frames that are much smaller and are meant to be put away for storage.

I have one that's 6ft. long from Bradley Quilt Co. It's designed to fold up to be put under a bed etc. That may be the kind of quilt frame you need to shop for.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:24 PM

If it isn't billed as "portable" or "easy to store", I'd avoid it.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:27 AM

I have the 12 ft. frame and use a 780 on it. It wasn't too bad to put up (my husband would disagree), but I would never put up and then take down! Once mine was up, it was up for good. You need at least 3 - 4 feet on all sides so you can walk around the frame. The poles do not collapse or fold, they are fitted together with an inside coupler, if that is the correct term. It also took us about 4 hours to put together, there are a lot of bolts to hold it together. It took both of us to put it together along with the videos on youtube.

Last edited by AChristina; 01-03-2014 at 08:30 AM. Reason: addition
Old 01-03-2014, 05:00 PM

Maybe something like this would suit your purposes better. Made by a company called Easy Quilter. I am not sure if they are still making them but if you want more info, please PM me.
Old 01-04-2014, 04:00 AM

I have a Bernina Quilt Frame and it's not something you will put up and take down easily. Yes the bars could come apart to 6' length I think, if you can undo them. But it's not a folding frame, it's assembled with nuts and bolts and took several hours to assemble. My suggestion to you is to check out the Grace Company (who makes Bernina Frames) and see if they have a folding frame.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:54 AM

Not that it's important to the OP's question, but I have to correct my previous post. I have the frame set up to 10' not 12', but my opinion is still the same and I agree with alleyoop1, it's not something you would put up and take down. Here's a pic of my setup, minus the machine.
Attached Thumbnails dsc02922.jpg  

Last edited by AChristina; 01-04-2014 at 05:56 AM.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:19 AM

Thank you everyone for your feedback. I think I will just learn to machine quilt on my 820 at the kitchen table. No space for a permanent frame set up.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:28 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sandie M. View Post
Thank you everyone for your feedback. I think I will just learn to machine quilt on my 820 at the kitchen table. No space for a permanent frame set up.
I have the same machine as you and have no interest in the frame, even though I have the space where I could have it.

As a suggestion ... does your kitchen table pull out? Some have created the drop in hole in the leaf (or made an extra one, so the table is still usable as a pull out for dining. You will find your FMQ to be much easier if you can get your machine and table around it all on the same level.

Another possibility is to set your machine on top of the table, then build up around it with styrofoam to get the continuous flat area. Bundle it together with duct tape and cover with plastic, to give the slippery effect you want when quilting. Plus it will make it portable to remove it from your table when you want to use it to dine!

Both of these ideas have been shown on the QB before, and other places on the internet. So sorry, I do not have any links to give you. Good Luck!!!! ...... and enjoy your machine!