Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bernina Walking Foot Opinions >

Bernina Walking Foot Opinions

Bernina Walking Foot Opinions

Old 08-10-2010, 02:28 PM

I would like to buy one, however, my Bernina Dealer wants $150 for one and I can pick up a generic (for Bernina) online from http://sewingmachine221sale.bizland....re/page94.html for $69.95. Either way, it's an investment and I really cannot afford mistakes. I really appreciate this group and thank you for your assistance. Mary
Old 08-10-2010, 03:23 PM

If you put a generic walking foot on your Bernina and it somehow harms the machine, would the damage be covered by your warranty? I was always told Bernina and Viking machines could not take generic feet or accessories, but perhaps that's no longer true. (And, no, it wasn't dealers that told me that. ;) )
Old 08-10-2010, 04:36 PM

I've been through the walking foot problem with my old Bernina 830 Record (purchased new in 1976 right after I was married). I bought the generic Alphasew foot (about $60 Canadian instead of $150) and it worked well for about a year and a half. It fit like a Bernina foot but wasn't really tight and you could always wiggle it a little. Eventually one of the little prongs where it attached to the machine suffered metal fatigue from wiggling and broke off. The dealer replaced it for $30. Same thing happened a second time. My next walking foot was just a generic low shank one ($22) that I attached using the adapter post that came with my machine. It worked for perhaps two years before breaking. Finally I saved up and bought the proper foot which worked so much better and is still working ten years later. Altogether I spent almost as much on the generic ones in total as I eventually paid for the real thing ($130 Canadian). My advice, save up your $ or if you are lucky you might be able to get a used one. I had a friend sell one shortly after I bought mine for $50! Berninas don't seem to handle generic feet very well as they just don't seem to fit properly.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:28 PM

The Bernina walking foot is made of heavy, high grade metal. You get what you pay for. I love mine.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:06 PM

Wow, I think I have my answer in just 3 replys.

I'm sorry, I should have told you that my Bernina is about 9 years old, model 153 Virtuosa QE (blueberry lol). I probably didn't have more than 2 hours on it until I started learning to quilt about a year ago. Thank you for the responses. Mary
Old 08-10-2010, 06:26 PM
Power Poster

If you have another machine, I would get a walking foot for that one instead, much cheaper; that's why I don't have one for my bernina. I'm not about to pay that huge price for one.

I would be careful and only use bernina parts. Your warranty won't cover if you use generics.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:23 PM
Dee

I have learned you get what you pay for. I learned from my Viking.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:41 AM

Just last month, I asked my husband for a gift certificate to our wonderful local quilt shop for my birthday present. He didn't think that it was a very romantic gift, but he went along with it. He was more generous than I expected, and I was able to get a Bernina walking foot. I have been using a much cheaper generic foot that I found on Ebay. As soon as I used it, I could tell the difference. It "walked" the fabric so much better. By adding a few of my own dollars, I was also able to buy the knee lift for my Bernina 1090 that I got on Craigs List. I love it! Between the two new additions, it almost seems as if I got a new sewing machine! I have been very happy with the 1090 since I got it last year, but now I am happier than ever. :)