Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Berninas are good, no?

My first Bernina was a 730 record that I bought back in May of 1968. I wore the thing out & replaced it a few years ago with Bernina's 1008, Love my Bernina's. Even my serger is by Bernina.

I also have a Bernina and love it. I bought it about 6 months after I started quilting when I realized this was something I would pursue. It was a demo, so I got a good price. I say if the LQS is close to you and you can go to them for guidance/instruction, that is a huge benefit. Check to see if they have any demos for sale.

Blog Entries
    I have three Berninas, one over 20 yrs old and I love all three. I do agree, you do not want a Bernette. The are not made by Bernina. I wonder if your dealer has a used Bernina?

Berninas are wonderful machines...be sure it is not a Bernette that is a horse of a different color. It is not as good as any Bernina.

The Bernette is total junk. The high price Bernia r really good. They have tons of neat feet. But they r really expensive. My choice would be a Janome. They have the best manuals.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyValentine View Post
    Someone from my quilt guild donated a White machine to me. I hand quilt and piece but I wanted to learn on a machine. This machine does not like me and I don't like it. One of my LQS is a bernina store and there's a machine I'd like to get for a couple hundred bucks. It's a very basic machine and they would teach me how to use it when I bought it. I just wanted to get an opinion on whether or not Bernina's are a good buy.
    No 1.... Local is good when they teach.....that's worth a lot! 2. I love Bernina's...I bought one in 1982....it's as good as the day I purchased it...Bernina is the only family owned sewing machine company left.... I personally met the President who flew into a local Bernina Dealer in the middle of nowhere from Switzerland....signed the foot petal of my old machine! 3. I have an old Singer, a brand new Bernina, an older Janome and a brand new Janome....love everyone of them....oh and a Babylock 10 needle....I don't put any company down...they all have good machines and they all have lemons..but a good local dealer that offers service is priceless....only read the first 3 posts.....here's wishing you the best on whatever you choose!
    "Seeking God's guidance is the key to success... even in daily living when we learn to LISTEN!"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 1screech View Post
    Berninas are wonderful machines...be sure it is not a Bernette that is a horse of a different color. It is not as good as any Bernina.
    I think my Bernina Dealer said they had someone else build these particular machines and it did not work out for them...if I am wrong someone jump in and tell me! My cousin was looking at one and I called my dealer and asked about them...it's been a couple of years and I'm more forgetful everyday!
    "Seeking God's guidance is the key to success... even in daily living when we learn to LISTEN!"

I have a Bernina I bought used, an Aurora 430. I do love it, but it is what I have been sewing on. My guess is that I would love whatever I was sewing on! I do wish the harp space was larger, but it is a great machine. See what is locally available so that you can have service and parts handy for your machine and make sure you like the dealer as well.

I have a couple of Berninas and I can't say enough about them! I love mine and would trade any of them for the world.
    Mom to 2 Future Stitchers....Wife to One Great Hubby!
    "Once A Phi Sigma Sigma, Always A Phi Sigma Sigma!"

I have been reading the comments on this post, and I agree, I try not to "trash" another brand. Everyone has a reason why they love their machine. So why am I sold on a Berniana? I have been sewing since I was 8 years old for 4-H. I had sewn on many different brands even my mom's top of the line Singer, as she was a singer die-hard. Every last machine I would have to fight with to sew, it was always something, the tension, the bobbin, always something. It was work to just keep the machine happy. I started sewing on my Bernina 930 and I was in heaven. Not a cough, or sneeze from the machine, if there was a problem, it was my fault and I knew exactly what it was. I made the comment to my mom shortly after my purchase, that sewing on her machine after sewing on my Bernina was like going from a Cadillac to a toyota, boy was she mad, but 6 months later she bought a Bernina 930 and was sold on them. As it has been said before, "Nothing sews like a Bernina". If it is truely a Bernina at that price, buy it, you can not go wrong. If you don't buy it but want a new machine, try different machines out, make a list of the features you want and what is you price range. Shopping for a machine is like shopping for anything else, don't be trying on, test driving, or trying out something you can't afford, only try out the ones you can afford, or you wont be happy with anything.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 ... LastLast