Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best Place in the Country for Quilting? >

Best Place in the Country for Quilting?

Best Place in the Country for Quilting?

Old 06-23-2014, 09:06 AM

Default Best Place in the Country for Quilting?

I must specify .... I do not like the cold & snow ... so it'll have to exclude areas of that climate.

Now that our home is nearly paid off, and I am committed to staying here because of hubby's job .... although in a few years he said he might consider a big move .... I, personally, am thinking of "snow birding it" to where I could rent a place from someone. Or if reasonable enough, buy a trailer/mobile home & pay the lot fee.

I'm a pretty social person and I really don't like places that are isolated.
I don't have to lean towards FL or AZ ....
but am more interested at this point in taking a look at places that have GOOD quilting communities, shops, guilds, etc. since this is how I love (now) spending my time.

Thoughts?
Old 06-23-2014, 09:41 AM

I will be interested in the replies to this question, I live with snow/cold half of the year!!!
Old 06-23-2014, 09:52 AM

I'm also interested in this. I lived in Florida for a time but didn't care for it. Too many old people! LOL I think somewhere the climate is good is hard to find these days. Too much disaster everywhere. We are in Ohio and we have the most even weather of any place I've heard of lately. Hot? yes Cold? yes but no flooding, no mud slides, no drought and no forest fires. So where would I go? I'd rent in different places for a few years to see where I would want to live full time. Or as you so do the snow bird thing. Interested in what other people say for sure.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:58 AM

Just remember, Debra, "Ever since the day you were born, you have been making an 'old' person." Sorry that you don't like old people. I can't stand screaming kids. Why do they have to scream to get attention and why do they need to have so much attention in today's world. It seems as if they have to be noticed and think they are the most important "thing" in the world. They MUST be seen and heard. This is my pet peeve and since I am old, I just LOVE old people and I love being OLD. lol and ha ha ha! Please don't get angry at me for saying this "stuff."
Old 06-23-2014, 09:59 AM

My husband and I are facing the same situation. We're ready to move but we can't decide on where. I would love it if there was a community based around quilting; until that happens we'll put together a list of places that meet our needs in terms of other things (affordability, weather, medical care, etc.) and once we've got a list of those we'll investigate the quilting situation for me and the astronomy situation for my husband. We also have the perfect house right now and I'm reluctant to leave it and my little town. We're in northwest Ohio, and while last winter was the worst, it was the worst everywhere. We're trying not to overreact.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:42 AM

We like it here in SC Texas. We don't have a lot of cold weather and where we live we live far enough inland not to have to worry about storms but close enough to the beach for day trips. We have a lot of places here and close by for quilting and shopping and close enough to Houston to make the wonderful quilt show. We can make day trips to the Hill Country for quilt shows and fabric shopping and also Austin. But the summers are hot.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:47 AM

I have lived in California all my life and our weather is very mild here - we do get heat in the summer and some snow in the winter - but not anything like you experience in the Midwest - Of course I am in rural Northern California where its not as populated - however there are some nice spots in the Valley areas of Sacramento and places North of there too - Check them out.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:56 AM

I am a transplanted Florida girl. I lived in Texas for 30 years. Where I was it took 3 hours to get to the show in Houston, and 20 minutes to get to my favorite little quilt shop. Where I am now, the closest LQS is 45 minutes away, and Houston is 1000 miles. I would pick Texas. It just seems like there were more quilt shops. I had 2 within 30 minutes. I do have a nicer house here,so compromise is a necessity.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:02 AM
Power Poster

I visited Tucson and they sure have a lot of quilt shops. It seems there are many retired people there.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by AnnEliz View Post
Just remember, Debra, "Ever since the day you were born, you have been making an 'old' person." Sorry that you don't like old people. I can't stand screaming kids. Why do they have to scream to get attention and why do they need to have so much attention in today's world. It seems as if they have to be noticed and think they are the most important "thing" in the world. They MUST be seen and heard. This is my pet peeve and since I am old, I just LOVE old people and I love being OLD. lol and ha ha ha! Please don't get angry at me for saying this "stuff."
I, too, feel this way. I'm also OLD!