Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best Press for odors >

Best Press for odors

Best Press for odors

Old 10-21-2014, 05:31 AM

One of the first things I would of tried is to hang that fabric outside for a day or two. Good luck!
Old 10-21-2014, 06:16 AM

I bought some fabric that had belonged to a smoker. I washed it with Tide and Odoban. When I pressed it I could still get a whiff of ciggy smoke. It seemed the heat made it worse. Maybe try soaking it overnight then hanging outside to dry.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:26 AM
Power Poster

I use ammonia to get the really nasty odors out and wash n hot water. I let them soak or do a double wash. It works on estate sales type fabric, shirts, blouses with tobacco and perfumes.
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I was gave 2 huge tubs of scraps and yardage, they had the old musty smell to them. I washed with my deodorizer mix of Gain, Baking soda, Oxiclean, vinegar and Odoban several times with soak cycle in each wash cycle, for the 1st time the odors didn't come completely out. Needless to say I was surprised. I have ordered a gallon of Best Press to iron each of these pieces from scrap to yardage. My question is do you think with the scent of the Best Press it will get the remainder of the odors out? I'd hate to throw out so much fabric. It has some beautiful colors in it and some is several yards long. If you have any other ideas about the odors that are still lingering please let me know. I really don't want to through any of it away, it's beautiful fabric. Thanks to anyone that can help me out.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:47 AM

For what it's worth, I've used Odoban in the past and think it's great, but I've had even more success with Biz:

http://www.bizstainfighter.com/
Old 10-21-2014, 08:06 AM
Power Poster

If hanging outside, I would keep the fabrics out of direct sunlight. Any kind of light will fade fabrics; direct sunlight will fade them faster than anything else.
Old 10-27-2014, 10:47 AM

Many thanks for all the new ideas I WILL try them out one at a time until I can get the odor out it's too much fabric to throw away unless all else fails. I can't hang it out side as I don't really have anything to hang it on and I have 4 dogs, well I guess I could put them in the mesh bags & hang on wood fence. After all the washing I put them in 5 trash bags with a bar of Dial hand soap it helped some but not completely. Thanks again everyone at least I get to try out the Best Press but on new fabrics instead.
Old 10-27-2014, 12:06 PM
amh

I'm not sure if you need to wash them again, but if you do, wash them in vinegar and baking soda. Yes, you just dump a bunch of vinegar into the washer along with a bunch of baking soda -- I never measure, but it's likely about a cup of vinegar and a third of a cup of baking soda. I can't believe what this concoction can do with odors -- It came from my grandmother and mother (and I'm in my 60's), so has been in my family for some time.

I actually will add it to the washing machine when I do towels and sheets. They come out smelling like they were hung outside on the line.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-27-2014, 12:46 PM

Mixing baking soda and vinegar won't work. One is an acid and one is a base, they just cancel each other out. And oxyclean just throws another oxidizer into the mix, which will work against any vinegar or baking soda left. Just use the vinegar, with detergent if needed in the wash, and just vinegar instead of fabric softener in the rinse.

I can't say anything about best press. I don't use anything with added fragrance.
Old 10-27-2014, 06:10 PM

I use "Simple Green" when my dogs tangle with skunks. I have also used it to get the skunk smell out of my son's coat when he had to shoot one. So my thinking is, if it gets skunk smell out of a coat, then it might get musty smell out of fabric. Be sure to wash it with it twice. You can get it at Costco or maybe an hardware store, but I have not seen it a grocery stores.