Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Best quality flannel for quilting

Best quality flannel for quilting

I know a lot of you ladies have been quilting for some time..what is the best quality flannel to get for quilting..eg Moda,Kaufman etc.I mainly want something for a backing that is going to last and not shrink too much..I know initially flannel does shrink so prewash is a must but which ones shrink the least?
    I may be over the hill but I'm not under it LOL

Blog Entries
    I have had the best luck with Moda brand flannel!!! Never had a problem with any flannel I have purchased of their's!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by maggiemuggins View Post
    I know a lot of you ladies have been quilting for some time..what is the best quality flannel to get for quilting..eg Moda,Kaufman etc.I mainly want something for a backing that is going to last and not shrink too much..I know initially flannel does shrink so prewash is a must but which ones shrink the least?
    A quilt is a blanket of love. Sharon

Moda and Northcott are both very nice flannels.

I have also had very good luck with Maywood studios and AE Nathan

All of these are nice thick soft flannels with no pilling and minimal shrinkage.

I've used Moda and think it's wonderful. Very little shrinkage; lots of body to it. I wouldn't hesitate to order any of their flannel.

Connecting Threads has a very nice flannel too.

My favorite is Maywood. It is very nice and thick.

I often buy wide flannel backings from Fabric.com- they have 108"-118" wide flannels that are really nice. I love Benartex double sided flannels for quilting- they are so *meaty* and wash up beautifully= I use them often for piecing & quilt tops- but I love the wide flannels for backs so I don't have to piece them- and fabric.com offers free shipping at the $35 level- I can always find that much to buy.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I have to say connecting threads flannel is so nice. it washes soft and there is hardly any shrinkage so next time I know that washing it is not absolutely necessary to use it. I was very impressed with it and its quality and they have so many solid colors and price is good as well. check them out you may be pleasantly surprised
    Brother XL-3500i, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D

So glad you asked this question. I've bookmarked it for future reference. I haven't had good luck with JoAnn or Walmart. I really don't like ordering online, but I may have to if I want to use flannel. I can work around the shrinking, but the pilling is an ugly problem.
    jean

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
    I have to say connecting threads flannel is so nice. it washes soft and there is hardly any shrinkage so next time I know that washing it is not absolutely necessary to use it. I was very impressed with it and its quality and they have so many solid colors and price is good as well. check them out you may be pleasantly surprised
    Thanks for the review, Dolyphngyrl. I've been wondering about their flannels. I already like their cottons. I know where I'll be ordering flannel from next time!