Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Which fabric brand of flannel is the best quality?

Which fabric brand of flannel is the best quality?

I need to make flannel blankets for a (soon-to-be born) great-grandson. What brand makes the best quality flannel? I'll need to buy over the internet because they want something specific for the print. Where do I start? Suggestions please. I do not like the quality of Joann's flannels.

Moda!! Love their flannel. So thick and soft and has never pilled on me. I have never gone wrong with Moda flannel. There are other good flannels I have used as well. Windham, Timeless Treasures and Northcott also make very nice thick flannels. I know there are a few others but I'd have to go check the selveges on my stash. But #1 for me is Moda.

thank you, feline fanatic (love the handle and the kitty photo). I'm all over this like cat hair on a couch.
    Grammahunt

Connecting Threads has good flannel, too.
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

Another vote for Moda. Their flannel is wonderful.
    I also bought some organic cotton flannel from fabric.com a couple of years ago for rag quilts and was very happy with it.

I have gotten some Robert Kaufman from Amazon that was just awesome I would buy that again in a heartbeat

Blog Entries
    I love Benartex flannels. Moda Woolies flannel is very nice too. Fabric.com has a nice selection of flannels. I always look for the ones described as ( double sided) they are thicker, nicer than single sided flannels.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Moda and Maywood are the two best flannels I've found. They are both so soft and nice to work with. I've tried to decide which of those two I like better, and I can't, so I'll recommend both.

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
    I love Benartex flannels. Moda Woolies flannel is very nice too. Fabric.com has a nice selection of flannels. I always look for the ones described as ( double sided) they are thicker, nicer than single sided flannels.
    Isn't Woolies by Maywood? Or am I confused about something?

Yet another vote for Moda here. Their flannel is absolutely wonderful. Don't think you could go wrong with it.

Blog Entries
    I am in love with Maywood!
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

Quote Originally Posted by cathyvv View Post
    Connecting Threads has good flannel, too.
    I love connecting threads flannel
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

I bought some really nice thick flannel from Marshalls last year, it was my first time with them and I was very pleased. Good luck finding what you need!
    Maria
    Always be true to yourself!

I've not been disappointed with Connecting Threads. Their flannel is fabulous.
    SEW MUCH FUN!

Thank you all for your two cents worth as I’ve often wondered myself along with the OP! I’ve used Robert Kaufman and Maywood and been happy with them too, but it’s nice to know when shopping online, what other manufacturers are good.

A good online place to shop for a specific print is Quiltshops.com. They link to about 150 quiltshops. You could do a search for a certain print like bears and then click on thumbnails. That brings up a photo of the print as well as a link to the shop it is in. If you click on store links, it brings up the shop but you have to search the shop to find the print. You could also search Moda flannel or flannel sale.

I have gone to all the sites and purchased enough to make 8 blankets for the great grandson due in December.
    That should be enough for now--along with all the other items and clothing I've purchased.
    Thank you all for the advice.