Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Seam Ripper? Techniques?

Best Seam Ripper? Techniques?

As a new quilter, I seem to be ripping out my seams a lot. At 63, my eyes aren't that great either, so I thought about getting one with a magnifying glass. Some even have lights. I also saw a battery operated seam ripper at Annies and was wondering if it would save me time. Has anyone used any of these or do you have a favorite seam ripper or method that you could recommend? I would appreciate any comments. Thanks.

Blog Entries
    The way I rip my seams out is on onside of the fabric I pull out a seam about every 10 stitches or so. Then I turn it over and randomly rip out every 10 stitches on that side. After that I can open the seam very quickly and do not have to do every little stitch.

Blog Entries
    Next b-day is my 63rd, so I hear you about trying to see those tiny threads. I have extra light(s) around my sewing machine. You will get many suggestions on un-sewing. IMHO the easiest (for me) is to flip your seam over (bobbin side) and pick/rip about every 4th-6th stitch, then flip back over and pull out one long thread. My FAVORITE seam ripper is the white clover seam ripper.
    "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." -Confucius

https://picasaweb.google.com/home

Blog Entries
    I found a You-Tube video that showed an easy technique. On one side of you seam, use the ripper to cut one stitch every 7 or so. Then on the other side, just pull the thread out in one long piece. It works great and less tiny threads to have to pick.
    Sherri

rather than looking for light or magnification specific to the ripper, I would look at an over all solution for those problems.
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

I love my battery operated one it is very fast . It's my new best friend.there is a video on youtube . Electric Seam Ripper

Quote Originally Posted by Fortyniner View Post
    As a new quilter, I seem to be ripping out my seams a lot. At 63, my eyes aren't that great either, so I thought about getting one with a magnifying glass. Some even have lights. I also saw a battery operated seam ripper at Annies and was wondering if it would save me time. Has anyone used any of these or do you have a favorite seam ripper or method that you could recommend? I would appreciate any comments. Thanks.

Power Poster
    I use my pointed thread snips to cut the bobbin thread every 3 to 4 stitches and then pull the top thread. I put the pieces I am working on the machine bed of my sewing machine and use the good light to see what I am doing.

Thanks for your responses. I checked out the you tube videos and the electric one looks really fast and would also solve my issue with my vision. I do have glasses, but they don't seem to help much with the small stitches. I also have extra lights, including a magnifying glass with light on my machine, which I love. I just have one more question for mary quilting. Have you ever cut your fabric rather than the thread with the electric ripper? I am doing some machine applique blocks for my first quilt top and would hate to cut the fabric and have to do the block all over again.

I like my Clover seam ripper and rips every few stitches on one side then pull the
    thread on the other side. I just ordered a magnifying lamp. Can't wait. I'll let
    you know how it goes.

I usually rip out every 5 or 6 stitches, you can then pull the back thread out in one piece. Purchase a Clover Seam Ripper. I got one a few months ago and just love it. Mine is abright teal seam ripper and a ball at the end. It is great to use to drag out those little left overs and help close up the holes.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast