Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My best friend the seam ripper

I don't know what's in the air. Or should I say what's wrong with me. The last 2 quilting projects I've done or am in the process of...I've used my seam ripper more than sewed! I don't know if my thoughts are jumbled, not paying attention, what, but I've made some pretty stupid errors lately! Grrrr...

Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    I don't know what's in the air. Or should I say what's wrong with me. The last 2 quilting projects I've done or am in the process of...I've used my seam ripper more than sewed! I don't know if my thoughts are jumbled, not paying attention, what, but I've made some pretty stupid errors lately! Grrrr...
    I have days like that and I laugh and say well today I I guess I am sewing like a frog.... Rippppet,,,lol

Blog Entries
    Must be in the air ! I am having a week like that :shock: Glad I am in good company :wink: LOL

One of my boo-boos is permanent! I'm not ripping out the whole quilt for something only I'll probably notice. Normally, I'm a perfectionist and will rip out the most minor things. This time, I've used the seam ripper so much over the last few weeks, I'm done!! Luckily, the person who this is going to will never notice. If I had to look at it every day, I'd go bonkers... but she'll love it.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I bet when I start quilting I will have some seam ripping day to. good luck

I'm in that mode as well!

I have one top that I thought was finished, took a picture to start asking about longarm quilting - only to see that I have an entire row upside down!! I may sit down tonight and rip it apart in order to resew tomorrow...

Banned
    Oh, honey..........the seam ripper and I have been siamese twins the last few days.....I feel for you!

Went to Michigan this past week to do some quilting for my friends. Sewed a piece, ripped it out, sewed it again, made another mistake, ripped it out, ended up sewing 4 times ripped 3. MUST be something in the air. Saw another mistake when it was finally done, but I am the only one who sees it, so it stayed in.

Quote Originally Posted by Deb watkins
    Went to Michigan this past week to do some quilting for my friends. Sewed a piece, ripped it out, sewed it again, made another mistake, ripped it out, ended up sewing 4 times ripped 3. MUST be something in the air. Saw another mistake when it was finally done, but I am the only one who sees it, so it stayed in.
    Glad I'm not the only one. I have good company it seems!

I am so glad I am not the only one. One day I was just trying to join squares in a particular sequence. I had to rip out the seams THREE times, because I kept making the same mistake. Makes me wonder if someone was trying to tell me it wasn't a good day for me to sew.

Blog Entries
    I get on a roll, can't do anything wrong...then I get on a roll when it seems like I can't do anything right :roll: Some days it seems like my seam ripper gets a better workout than my machine LOL

Blog Entries
    Hi,

I just learned how to paper piece Monday night with my friend. I came home and made 4 all by myself. I was telling myself good job you haven't had to rip out about that time, darn I forgot to trim before I sewed, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr (so the bear in me was growling) lol lol,

I got it ripped out and ended using a different fabric. I guess that piece of fabric wasn't playing good with the others, lol.

My seam ripper has a light on the end of it, have you seen the. I got mine at Joann's Fabric. Also I have seen them online. They are so nice!

Karen

I am starting my first quilting class today which I obvioiusly need.

I am making (not in my class) a lap quilt which I had hoped to finish before I had the class. I figured I would find out what I needed the most help with. I haven't finished. I have one more row of blocks to do.

What I don't need help with is ripping (unsewing), I have that down pat.

The lap quilt is a 5 x 5 block pattern with 4 blocks in each of the blocks. Not very big right! I am on my SECOND spool of thread!

Banned
    When I read the title I thought you were talking about your cat is the seam ripper. :lol:

Oh yes, me too. I almost feel like if I didn't rip out at least half a project, it doesn't have my "signature touch", haha.

What? I am not alone? LOL
    I have 3 of them; but didn't know there was one with a light on it!!!
    Sounds great for these over 50 eyes of mine.

Blog Entries
    :oops: :oops: :oops:
    At retreat I made the biggest boo-boo. Working on a EASY pattern, I put two pieces on to the block base (on opposite sides) , ready for the next round . . OMG They are on the wrong side of the base. . . :hunf: :hunf: Oh and did I mention that I had chain pieced 40 of these the WRONG way. So, I unsewed and unsewed and unsewed some more.

So I have learned:
    1) work in smaller chains
    2) pay attention ~ even on easy patterns.

Hehe. No actually, my DOG is my real best friend. My two cats aren't in the running.

I've not seen a ripper with a light. I hope I don't need one!

It got to a point this week that I was second guessing myself...like why am I even doing this? This is supposed to be a relaxing hobby, not one where I feel like punching a wall!

I also inverted a few blocks, the boo-boo I mentioned previously. Luckily the quilt is a scrappy type quilt and even though it's now obvious to me, I bet she'll look at it forever and never see it. So, this project has left me accepting imperfection. Which is something I generally am extremely anal about.

Wow! Looks like a lot of us are in the same boat. I recently finished piecing a fairly large wall hanging, and started hand quilting. Now, hand quilting is my favorite part of quilting but no matter what I tried on this wall hanging it didn't look right. The wall hanging clearly told me to machine quilt. Having to pull out hand quilting stitches always scares me because I'm afraid I'm going to snag the fabric. A couple of weeks ago someone on this board (I wish I could remember who!) mentioned that she uses a small metal crochet hook to remove stitches. I tried it, and it works great! Pulls the thread without damaging the quilt top! Whoever that was who recommended that, thank you thank you thank you!

It's called unsewing!! :):)

my "seam ripper" has a tendency to curse when the sewing machine slips and messes a seam up...lol I keep at least 4 on hand, just in case one gets a potty mouth.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    :lol: you are just to funny!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    when I sewed the boys clothes when they ,were little, I used the seam ripper quite a bit, today my yongest tuned 24. speaking of I better go make his brownies.

My mantra is-my stitch ripper is my friend...my stitch ripper is my friend...

I truly hate seam ripping. It is probably the only thing on earth that I can say the word hate with. I will sometimes just cut new pieces and toss the bad rather than ripping them apart. I feel your pain.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast