Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Beware cheap straight pins

The pins with the yellow ball on top melt, too. They are widely sold in large quantities as quilting pins.

clover glass head long shaft--worth the money

the price of the good glass head pins can be greatly reduced if you use a Joann's coupon on them, or wait till notions are on sale.
    Tink's Mom (My name is really Susie)

I have had the worst experience with Dritz straight and safety pins- Very dull. Will never buy them again.

Blog Entries
    There are certain things I do spend good money on. Glass head silk pins is one of them. If they aren't abused by sewing over them, they last forever. I bought my last package of 100 pins about six years ago at about $8.00. They still work. I think that is a great investment.

Over the years I have bought cheaper pins and they are all gone now.

I do use colored pins on my design board and keep them separate from the silk pins.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

The flower-top 'flat-top' pins melt too, just like the ball ones. And they are supposed to be whoopie-do best-in-class from LQS. Some of my LQS pins, right out of the package, looked a little tarnished in spots. And they definitely don't go through the fabric as easily as the glass-head pins which are my favorite.

The glass-heads are nice and long, they don't melt, they are slightly narrower in diameter than the flower-heads and very sharp and smooth. Straight from Joanns.
    SueSew
    "If it's messy, eat it over the sink!" Mom

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Monroe View Post
    I have had the worst experience with Dritz straight and safety pins- Very dull. Will never buy them again.
    Same here. I bought some at Joann's and they are the worst. So dull I can hardly get them through the fabric. I will probably use them for something like the "quilted" Christmas ornaments just to get rid of them.
    jlm5419-an Okie in California
    http://according-to-ginger.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    I switched to the flower top pins after ironing over a plastic ball on a cheaper pin. It melted right to the fabric.

I use the button head pins which are made to be ironed over. I use them with fusible applique.
    Debbie
    Machine It

Blog Entries
    I have only used the glass head silk pins for years. They are very sharp and thin so they slide in and out of the fabric easily. I have used them since the 70's. They are a little pricey but I still have most of the pins I purchased in the 70's.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

South East Michigan...at the bottom of the thumb!
    I am always on a quest for the finest pins in the store. Many of the pins at J's are dull. I never had the experience of pins melting. That could be a disaster! I think I will try to buy some of the flower pins.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast