Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Beware cheap straight pins

Blog Entries

Beware cheap straight pins

I had a strange experience this afternoon. I had put a straight pin on a block just to mark the top, and apparently, I accidently ironed over the pin as I was pressing my seams. Later, when I went to remove the pin, it wouldn't budge! The pin has a ball top, and it evidently was painted, not solid plastic throughout. The paint must have melted and stuck to the fabric. I got it off w/o much of a mark, but all those pins went into my "dead needle" jar for disposal. In the picture below, you can see the little bit of paint on the shaft, which is a telltale sign. I have no idea where or when I got these pins, unfortunately.
    Name:  IMG_0216.jpg
Views: 2295
Size:  681.6 KB
    Cathy

Yikes, I am sorry about the glob. My thrifty friend doesn't understand why I pay the high price for quality when usually the bargain will work. A local 4H leader said she used only glass head pins, you never know where the iron will strike.

Power Poster
    I switched to the flower top pins after ironing over a plastic ball on a cheaper pin. It melted right to the fabric.

I bought a large container of Pins at Michaels and they were so dull. I took them back. Everything is getting cheaper and cheaper made, not price.
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

This is why I prefer glass heads.

Blog Entries
    thanks for the heads up
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

It was recommended to me to try Clovers fine patchwork pins. They have a glass head. I really like them a lot,except when stick myself. They are really sharp!

QM
    I am careful about this, but many on this board may not be as aware. thank you for mentioning this real problem.

Blog Entries
    Honestly there isn't any quality basic notion that will break the bank so why not buy the best. Fine glass head pins are worth it.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    I never paid that much attention to my pins. I didn't know about glass heads. I will definitely check that out.
    Cathy

The pins with the yellow ball on top melt, too. They are widely sold in large quantities as quilting pins.

clover glass head long shaft--worth the money

the price of the good glass head pins can be greatly reduced if you use a Joann's coupon on them, or wait till notions are on sale.
    Tink's Mom (My name is really Susie)

I have had the worst experience with Dritz straight and safety pins- Very dull. Will never buy them again.

Blog Entries
    There are certain things I do spend good money on. Glass head silk pins is one of them. If they aren't abused by sewing over them, they last forever. I bought my last package of 100 pins about six years ago at about $8.00. They still work. I think that is a great investment.

Over the years I have bought cheaper pins and they are all gone now.

I do use colored pins on my design board and keep them separate from the silk pins.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

The flower-top 'flat-top' pins melt too, just like the ball ones. And they are supposed to be whoopie-do best-in-class from LQS. Some of my LQS pins, right out of the package, looked a little tarnished in spots. And they definitely don't go through the fabric as easily as the glass-head pins which are my favorite.

The glass-heads are nice and long, they don't melt, they are slightly narrower in diameter than the flower-heads and very sharp and smooth. Straight from Joanns.
    SueSew
    "If it's messy, eat it over the sink!" Mom

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Monroe View Post
    I have had the worst experience with Dritz straight and safety pins- Very dull. Will never buy them again.
    Same here. I bought some at Joann's and they are the worst. So dull I can hardly get them through the fabric. I will probably use them for something like the "quilted" Christmas ornaments just to get rid of them.
    jlm5419-an Okie back in Oklahoma!
    http://according-to-ginger.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    I switched to the flower top pins after ironing over a plastic ball on a cheaper pin. It melted right to the fabric.

I use the button head pins which are made to be ironed over. I use them with fusible applique.
    Debbie
    Machine It

Blog Entries
    I have only used the glass head silk pins for years. They are very sharp and thin so they slide in and out of the fabric easily. I have used them since the 70's. They are a little pricey but I still have most of the pins I purchased in the 70's.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

South East Michigan...at the bottom of the thumb!
    I am always on a quest for the finest pins in the store. Many of the pins at J's are dull. I never had the experience of pins melting. That could be a disaster! I think I will try to buy some of the flower pins.

Thanks for the heads up too. Never quite thought about that happening.

Tkx for the info...

And beware that cheap pins can rust. Always buy a metal that will not rust.

A cpl. of wks. ago there was a discussion on here about pins. Some mentioned "patchwork" pins while others talked about "quilt" pins. I've looked for them since but can't remember which people felt were the best. I really love a long, narrow shaft & want to get the best ones first so I don't invest in pins I won't care for. I always thought the flower heads were the big thing til I bought glasshead pins. They've seem to disappear around here for some reason. I hope somebody can talk about the benefits of ea. soon.

Pat G

Quote Originally Posted by Reba'squilts View Post
    I am always on a quest for the finest pins in the store. Many of the pins at J's are dull. I never had the experience of pins melting. That could be a disaster! I think I will try to buy some of the flower pins.

Quote Originally Posted by Monroe View Post
    You can sharphen ay dull straight pin or safety pin by putting it in and out of steel wool. That's what I did witht the large safety pins that my sister bought me one year for Christmas. I just put them in and out of steal wool annow they are real sharp!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast