Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bias Problems

I'm working on a new pattern I purchased last weekend. It consists of three 1 1/2 " strips sewn together and then cut on a 45 degree angle to make eight 3 1/2" long strips....ultimately making a star. It isn't difficult, but time-consuming. I finished out 3 full blocks today and each one is bulky in the center....almost bowing out in the center. The background fabric is cut on a diagonal, but I've been careful to NOT tug on it. What am I doing wrong????

Blog Entries
    When doing a star, I usually sew one side together, then the other side, and then do one seam down the middle to join the two. You won't get a bowl or a hill doing it this way.

Banned
    Liberty Hill - Central TEXAS Hill Country
    Quote Originally Posted by jljack
    When doing a star, I usually sew one side together, then the other side, and then do one seam down the middle to join the two. You won't get a bowl or a hill doing it this way.
    That's the way I do it also - seems to help

I also press the seams open. I use Best Press at the center where the points meet. It doesn't seem as bulky that way.

Blog Entries
    Also, pressing seams open can help.

here is a good tutorial showing how to press to eliminate bulk when making stars

http://video.answers.com/how-to-sew-...lock-109408356

Quote Originally Posted by gramajo
    I also press the seams open. I use Best Press at the center where the points meet. It doesn't seem as bulky that way.
    What is Best Press?

The directions take me through piecing four blocks; then sew two blocks and two blocks, then join those two sections to complete the block. I've been so diligent to cut precise, and sew the same scant 1/4" allowance.....I've pressed every section to keep the seams down AND I've pressed the last 4 seams down the center rather than to the side. Still! I plan to work on more blocks late tomorrow; will post photos if no improvement. Thanks for all your help.

best press is just a brand of starch- any starch will help= also starting at the inner point and stitching to the outside helps-
    when working with bias edges pinning (alot) helps, a good sharp needle- stitching slowly- start at inner point and stitch out toward the outter points- and starching the fabrics all help.

Quote Originally Posted by gramajo
    I do this as well including the Best Press ... BUT ...

This is going to sound weird - but I sometimes use a small hammer on the back of the intersection while it is still hot if it is uncooperative - it sometimes coerces the seam flat!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast