Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: cutting table

I'm relatively new here so please forgive me if this has been discussed before:

I'm about ready to get my new quilting room together. I know what I want in a sewing table, although I haven't found it yet, but I was wondering about the size of a cutting table.

Should it be big so I could fit a whole (almost?; queen size) quilt on it or smaller? What would good dimensions be.

The sewing and cutting tables will be separate entities.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and suggestions.

Wow thats a big cutting table. Mines about 5' x 3' but Im thinking a little bigger would be fine. My specific tip though would be to place it so you have walking space around the entire table. I love that I can cut from any side.

I have the cutting table from Joann's it folds down so it doesn't take up alot of room when I'm not using it. when it's completely open its a great size. (and with the coupons the price isn't so bad either)

I would not make the table any larger in depth than a large cutting mat. I have a queen size bed & even though I can walk around it, I don't think I could do much in the center as it is not readily reachable. For sandwiching queen size, you can use the binder clips to secure the quilt to the table & do the pinning/basting in sections. I think storage is a bigger issue than a very large table. My sewing table/cabinet has a hindged drop down leaf on the back side that does not have to be up & taking up space all the time.

Now - I disagree with donnajean. I have a sliding closet door ($15.00 at a recycle place) on 2 2-drawer file cabinets ($5.00 ea at garage sale). DH just cut it down to 36 x 70. I like the extra room for laying all my fabrics out ---- and my pattern, cutters, rulers, marking pens --- and my JUNK! The size should be determined by how much room you have!

My cutting table is about 5' wide and 7' long and I would love to have it wider and longer. I also think that one of the most important things is the height, everything I've read says that a cutting table should be no less or more than 3" below your elbow. I also have a ton of storage underneath it.

I found two vintage drop leaf dining tables at thrift store ( at different times.) I have them side by side for a space about 6 ft x 7 ft with leaves down. When I need more room to layer a large quilt I put the leaves up, all or how ever many I need.

Blog Entries
    We were just looking at Keepsake Quilting site and they offer cutting table plans I believe the measurements are 6x4'. The pattern is $15

Not sure what you disagree with. My "large" mat is the width of a door. I think it is 36x48". I only said "I" would make the depth the size of the mat. The length could be as long as the room if table was agaist a wall.

Quote Originally Posted by amandasgramma
    Now - I disagree with donnajean. I have a sliding closet door ($15.00 at a recycle place) on 2 2-drawer file cabinets ($5.00 ea at garage sale). DH just cut it down to 36 x 70. I like the extra room for laying all my fabrics out ---- and my pattern, cutters, rulers, marking pens --- and my JUNK! The size should be determined by how much room you have!

Thanks for all your responses so far!
    I've been using the dining room table (too short!) up till now which is 3'6" X 6'4".
    I'd like it to be just a touch wider I think. But Donnajean has a point of not being able to reach in the center of it. I do like to lay tools and cloth on the top as I assess and reassess my quilt.
    Yes, I am planning on being able to walk all around it with anti-stress mats on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by ontheriver
    I found two vintage drop leaf dining tables at thrift store ( at different times.) I have them side by side for a space about 6 ft x 7 ft with leaves down. When I need more room to layer a large quilt I put the leaves up, all or how ever many I need.
    Did you make them higher? My dining room table is too low and hurts my back to cut on.

Quote Originally Posted by donnajean
    Not sure what you disagree with. My "large" mat is the width of a door. I think it is 36x48". I only said "I" would make the depth the size of the mat" The length could be as long as the room if table was agaist a wall.

Quote Originally Posted by amandasgramma
    Okay - 2 cups of coffee later and I see what you're saying. I was thinking of a small mat....and thinking a 3 foot mat with no extra space for laying junk would drive me nuts. :) sorry

My cutting table is really a steel door sitting on a book case and a cut down chest of drawers. Height is about 32" so it does not hurt my back when cutting and I get good leverage. size is about 80x30. size is good since I have lots of room for large cutting mat and room for patterns, extra material, etc. You may not need wider size since most fabric is only 12" wide when being cut even though it may be several yards long. (which is why longer table is nice) I have a larger surface for my sewing machine made out of foan insulation that fit around machine. Also I have a large sheet of plywood setting on a brown banquet table to be used but sandwiching and other laying out.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsister63
    My cutting table is really a steel door sitting on a book case and a cut down chest of drawers. Height is about 32" so it does not hurt my back when cutting and I get good leverage. size is about 80x30. size is good since I have lots of room for large cutting mat and room for patterns, extra material, etc. You may not need wider size since most fabric is only 12" wide when being cut even though it may be several yards long. (which is why longer table is nice) I have a larger surface for my sewing machine made out of foan insulation that fit around machine. Also I have a large sheet of plywood setting on a brown banquet table to be used but sandwiching and other laying out.
    Yes, this was basically what I was going to do: make cutting table out of MY old dresser and my mom's hooked together. But my son took them to NC with him. Ah, a mother's love.

I just ordered the cutting table patter from Keepsake. I really liked the size of it and the compartments it had under it. My son is a carpenter and I think I can bribe him into making it for me maybe for Christmas. I wanted something bigger to set my sewing machine on so I could try machine quilting my own quilts in a basic stitch. Anxious to get it done. Plus really need the organization compartments - that will be an added bonus.

I use a 6ft folding table with adjustable height of 29 or 36 inches from Costco. Easy to take down and light enough to move on a whim.

I love mine fro Joann's. The height is perfect for me - I'm 5'3". Like someone else said the coupons make it real affordable. I use three banquet tables when I want to pin large quilts. They are easy to take down to store out of the way. My cutting table is up all the time with room to move around. I usually have one end stacked with "stuff".

Kas
    I would love to have a cutting table that was long enough to put two "24 x 36" mats together. I would actually like it to be bigger. My ideal way to make borders would be to use the length of fabric, not width. But my cutting board size (and the cost of fabric) make this hard to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Sophie2
    I love mine from Joann's. The height is perfect for me - I'm 5'3". Like someone else said the coupons make it real affordable. I use three banquet tables when I want to pin large quilts. They are easy to take down to store out of the way. My cutting table is up all the time with room to move around. I usually have one end stacked with "stuff".

Am I missing something? The table from Joann's is 34 1/2" which comes way below my elbow. I am only 5'3" also. Shouldn't it be higher?

Mine is about 5'x7'-- I love it! It fits the giant cutting mat (40"x60") and leaves me places to stack stuff!

HTH,
    Marcia

I have my cutting table on bed raisers. You can get them at Walmart for 7.50 for a set of 4, or if you have a Big Lot near you, they are 5.00 per set. Well worth the cost to save back pain.

We use these at guild to raise the tables for cutting and pinning also. Easy to slip under at the meetings.

I use a drop leaf table for my sewing machine..then have a folding picnic table 4x6 next to it for excess quilt holding while sewing....I use a drafting table for cutting and ironing...because of it's height...
    I also have a rolling folding table from joann's for cutting...along with the cutting mat they sell for that

All good ideas! Thanks so much to all.

Blog Entries
    Not only should you be able to reach to the center but you should be able to work comfortably at that distance. You just know that if something is going to require extra work it'll be where you can't get to it without hurting your back from leaning over..

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast