Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
cutting table >

cutting table

cutting table

Old 08-16-2011, 08:36 AM

Mine is about 5'x7'-- I love it! It fits the giant cutting mat (40"x60") and leaves me places to stack stuff!

HTH,
Marcia
Old 08-16-2011, 08:36 AM

I have my cutting table on bed raisers. You can get them at Walmart for 7.50 for a set of 4, or if you have a Big Lot near you, they are 5.00 per set. Well worth the cost to save back pain.

We use these at guild to raise the tables for cutting and pinning also. Easy to slip under at the meetings.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:45 PM

I use a drop leaf table for my sewing machine..then have a folding picnic table 4x6 next to it for excess quilt holding while sewing....I use a drafting table for cutting and ironing...because of it's height...
I also have a rolling folding table from joann's for cutting...along with the cutting mat they sell for that
Old 08-16-2011, 05:54 PM

All good ideas! Thanks so much to all.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:55 PM

Not only should you be able to reach to the center but you should be able to work comfortably at that distance. You just know that if something is going to require extra work it'll be where you can't get to it without hurting your back from leaning over..
Old 08-17-2011, 03:26 AM
Swap Hosts

My husband recently purchased a cutting table that has two leafs that fold down. When it's open all the way it is 5' x 10'. There is a mat that fits over the whole thing that I keep rolled up. I complained it was too big until I used it on my last quilt and I have to say it made things so much easier. The best part is that it is on wheels so I can roll it away when I'm not using it -- which is never!
Old 08-17-2011, 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by Sunnye
I'm relatively new here so please forgive me if this has been discussed before:

I'm about ready to get my new quilting room together. I know what I want in a sewing table, although I haven't found it yet, but I was wondering about the size of a cutting table.

Should it be big so I could fit a whole (almost?; queen size) quilt on it or smaller? What would good dimensions be.

The sewing and cutting tables will be separate entities.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and suggestions.
I guess my first question would be, what do you have room for? My sewing studio is in the basement so I have lotsa room. I have a table for cutting that is 36"X60" to fit my large cutting mat. I also have a padded ironing table that is 60"X80". This also has a large cutting mat on one end that I can lean against a wall when ironing a quilt top and assembling backing and batting. Both of these tables are on wheels and can be moved together if necessary. The cutting table is usually stacked with UFO's and WIPs so I use the large table for most active projects. I also have countertops and small tables for sewing machines.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by Krystyna
My husband recently purchased a cutting table that has two leafs that fold down. When it's open all the way it is 5' x 10'. There is a mat that fits over the whole thing that I keep rolled up. I complained it was too big until I used it on my last quilt and I have to say it made things so much easier. The best part is that it is on wheels so I can roll it away when I'm not using it -- which is never!
Is it a table that is massed produced or a special find by your husband?
Old 08-17-2011, 04:13 AM

I knew someone that used a ping pong table for her cutting table. When she wasn't using it it would be folded and wheeled out of the way. We used to have a group meeting at her house and sew. She had the whole basement as her sewing area. It was a fantastic working area but I wouldn't have room for something this large.
Ann in TN
Old 08-17-2011, 04:32 AM

I have two 4x8 tables pushed together. But I find that up to one half of it is usually covered with stuff! I suppose that might be true if it were smaller as well.
MK