Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
cutting table >

cutting table

cutting table

Old 08-17-2011, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by kraftykimberly
Wow thats a big cutting table. Mines about 5' x 3' but Im thinking a little bigger would be fine. My specific tip though would be to place it so you have walking space around the entire table. I love that I can cut from any side.
Mine came from the old Cloth World years ago. It's 4" x 8" and is the best I've ever had. Most important is bring able to move around all four sides.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:58 AM

Second best thing is all the space I have under the table for those three drawer cabinets from Wally's. I can store scads of stuff and they are on wheels so easy to get to. They only take up the floor space that is already in use from the table.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:07 AM

After reading some of the replies, I'll chime in. I think the height is the most important thing. Too low, back hurts. And size should be maybe what fits in your sewing space best. Hope all of our comments aren't too much.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:13 AM

I have a big rectangle table in my kitchen,i put my big cutting mat on the table where i pin baste my quilts.Then i store my big mat under my bed.Connie in CO
Old 08-17-2011, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by pstrwife
After reading some of the replies, I'll chime in. I think the height is the most important thing. Too low, back hurts. And size should be maybe what fits in your sewing space best. Hope all of our comments aren't too much.
Not too much! I'm enjoying reading all the comments. Thanks.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:17 AM

If you have the space then go for it. I have a cutting table, etc that is 46" x 46" with a leaf that folds down that is 46" x 22". I ordered a custom cut mat for the large side and had then ship the left overs and my DH cut those to fit the leaf. It is great. I would post a picture but not where I can get to the file.

PM me is you want a picture and I will send it later.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:31 AM

I recently spent $20 at a garage sale for a ping pong table. I can raise it on concrete blocks for cutting (my sewing room is in the basement), I can fold it up out of the way if I want, and the grandkids can play ping pong when they come to visit!
Old 08-17-2011, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
Now - I disagree with donnajean. I have a sliding closet door ($15.00 at a recycle place) on 2 2-drawer file cabinets ($5.00 ea at garage sale). DH just cut it down to 36 x 70. I like the extra room for laying all my fabrics out ---- and my pattern, cutters, rulers, marking pens --- and my JUNK! The size should be determined by how much room you have!
And how much cutting and sewing room you need! Also, do you want to be able to fold it away? I use an old dining table that expands out but can be folded up to take up less space. It's sturdier than the sewing tables I've seen (altough I'm sure if I looked harder, I could find better ones) and since it was grandma's old dining table, I got it for the low, low, cost of FREE! But you may be able to find an old dining table for less $$$ than a similar quality sewing table.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:34 AM

You might also consider a free standing kitchen island. They come in various sizes at places like Big Lots or Ikea. Mine is about 4ft long by 21 inches deep (fits my space). It holds my 36X24 mat (yes there is a little overlap but I can work with it) and a smaller mat if I need it. It has 3 drawers, a center cupboard with shelf and door, and storage on both sides under the top. I like the storage spaces and I have those sliding furniture movers under the feet so I can move it out from the wall when I need to get around it to cut or to reach the wall above it, which is my design wall. And it looks nice, too.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:38 AM
Swap Hosts

Originally Posted by Sunnye
Originally Posted by Krystyna
My husband recently purchased a cutting table that has two leafs that fold down. When it's open all the way it is 5' x 10'. There is a mat that fits over the whole thing that I keep rolled up. I complained it was too big until I used it on my last quilt and I have to say it made things so much easier. The best part is that it is on wheels so I can roll it away when I'm not using it -- which is never!
Is it a table that is massed produced or a special find by your husband?
It was made by Arrow. All wood. He purchased it at the estate sale of a quilter.