Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
cutting table >

cutting table

cutting table

Old 08-18-2011, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by pjnesler
I'm dreaming of a cutting table that would "straddle" the full size bed in my guest room. The bed is seldom used, so the space would be better utilized if it could be turned into a cutting area of the appropriate height to cut and not bend over - plenty of work space to have needed items close at hand.... As long as we're talking CUTTING TABLES, what do you all think?
I think that is a terrific idea!
Old 08-18-2011, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by btiny36
We were just looking at Keepsake Quilting site and they offer cutting table plans I believe the measurements are 6x4'. The pattern is $15
Anyone interested in this - they can have.

DH will never get to make me this. He made a top that is wider than a regular fold table they use at hall and covered it with a cheap floor rug and I truly love it except when you have to move it. It is heavy!
Old 08-18-2011, 02:52 PM

My daughter and son got me the cutting table and cutting mat from JoAnn's one year for Christmas. When I am cutting I put it all up. If I have people coming to sleep over or want the room, I put it away and roll the matt back up. I often put only one side up with my cutting mat on it. When we are at our "Vacation AKA Work place) I put my mat on the end of an old school teacher's desk.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:48 PM

I have two cutting tables even though I have a very small room. They are both at different heights because I like cutting smaller pieces at waist-high level and larger pieces on a lower level so I can stand "over" what I am cutting. The waist-high table is actually a small kitchen island on rollers that I bought at Mennards and is just big enough for a large cutting mat. It also has some drawers for storage and two shelves. I love it!
Old 08-21-2011, 08:16 AM

I can post a picture here. Here is my cutting table.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-244675.jpe  
Old 08-21-2011, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Sunnye
Originally Posted by ontheriver
I found two vintage drop leaf dining tables at thrift store ( at different times.) I have them side by side for a space about 6 ft x 7 ft with leaves down. When I need more room to layer a large quilt I put the leaves up, all or how ever many I need.
Did you make them higher? My dining room table is too low and hurts my back to cut on.
I'm using an old oak table with ugly metal legs, that I put on four coffee cans. That gives me six extra inches and my back loves it. For a dining room table, I would also place a small plank of wood across the top of the coffee cans to disperse the weight. Wouldn't want those table legs to bust through the coffee cans!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-244689.jpe  
Old 08-21-2011, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by unclefreckles
I can post a picture here. Here is my cutting table.
That's great! Thanks for going to the trouble to post the picture. I really like it.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:13 PM

I use an adjustable drafting table that I can set at a level position and have it as high as possible--so my back doesn't hurt (regular table height is a killer for taller people). I have it sitting in the middle of the room so I can walk around--and it's arms distance from my sewing machine!