Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Big ironing board - suggestions please

Blog Entries
    Some have posted they made their own large ironing boards for quilt pressing - I would like directions, suggestions, etc. How does it stay on the regular ironing board? What is the base? What fabric best covers it? What about usual size? Anything you can advise will be welcome.
    I know I can trust some of you regulars to have the answers. Thanks,
    montanajan

I'd love this info. too!

There is a tutorial on one on this site. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-57168-1.htm

I got a spare piece of bathroom wall paneling from the garage and put the warm and natural batting on one side of it and then got some of the silver/shiney heat resistant fabric and put it over all that. And believe it or not, I duct taped it firmly on the other side and it's worked like a charm. I'll have to take a picture of it.

I can lay it anywhere - on my sewing table, on the bed, on the floor. And when I'm not using it, I just stand it up next to my table.

I've had it for about 5 years now and it's just as good as when I first made it.

Blog Entries
    Just make sure that your ironing board is sturdy enough to accept this extra weight, it will be more tippy :wink: :D:D:D

Blog Entries
    I actually just made one today. I got a piece of plywood 48" x 24", covered it with an old beach towel and then got the silver cover material from the fabric store. I stapled it all down on the under side and voila!

Banned
    I made two for $35.00

I bought a 2 x 4' piece of luann from Lowe's. Hubby nailed some wood scraps to the bottom side to act as stoppers so I can slide it over my ironing board and it stays put. I then stapled 1 layer of cotton batting, 1 layer of thermal batting, an ugly plaid cotton fabric and a final layer of the metallic ironing board fabric. It's very lightweight & I can easily store it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by frugalfabrics
    I got a spare piece of bathroom wall paneling from the garage and put the warm and natural batting on one side of it and then got some of the silver/shiney heat resistant fabric and put it over all that. And believe it or not, I duct taped it firmly on the other side and it's worked like a charm. I'll have to take a picture of it.

I can lay it anywhere - on my sewing table, on the bed, on the floor. And when I'm not using it, I just stand it up next to my table.

I've had it for about 5 years now and it's just as good as when I first made it.
    Thanks for the info - very helpful. I think I can make one now.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BKrenning
    I bought a 2 x 4' piece of luann from Lowe's. Hubby nailed some wood scraps to the bottom side to act as stoppers so I can slide it over my ironing board and it stays put. I then stapled 1 layer of cotton batting, 1 layer of thermal batting, an ugly plaid cotton fabric and a final layer of the metallic ironing board fabric. It's very lightweight & I can easily store it.
    More helpful suggestions - thank you!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast