Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Big Stitch Quilting

Big Stitch Quilting

Hope someone has the answer to this question. How do you bury the knot when doing big stitch quilting? I am going to be quilting through batik, and have found a need that will go through the fabric and batting with perl cotton. But I can't pop the knot through. Any help appreciated
    Last edited by PatriceJ; 01-25-2014 at 10:19 AM.

You bury the knot the same way as in regular hand quilting. If the knot won't pop through you may need to make the hole slightly bigger by using the tip of the needle in the hole where the knot should go. Put the needle in and sort of wiggle it around a bit. This will move the threads of the fabric aside and the knot will slip in. I would also make sure the knot is not too big. A quilters knot is ting compared to a knot created by rolling the thread between your fingers.

I`m doing a flannel one now and it works.What Crocee said. You just got to play with it. Good luck.
    Gale

Quote Originally Posted by crocee View Post
    You bury the knot the same way as in regular hand quilting. If the knot won't pop through you may need to make the hole slightly bigger by using the tip of the needle in the hole where the knot should go. Put the needle in and sort of wiggle it around a bit. This will move the threads of the fabric aside and the knot will slip in. I would also make sure the knot is not too big. A quilters knot is ting compared to a knot created by rolling the thread between your fingers.
    How do you do the quilters knot? I had the same problem getting the knot through.

That was a great link, thanks for posting it!

KLO
    Blog Entries
    I agree, great link and thanks for posting. I like the idea of the big stitch quilting .... especially as my eyes have gotten older. (Aging is not for the faint of heart!)

Thank you. Watched the video tutorial, and will begin my project this afternoon

I find that when I sew/quilt with thicker thread I must make fewer wraps to create a smaller knot. HTH