Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
?? on Big Stitch / Utility Stitch hand quilting >

?? on Big Stitch / Utility Stitch hand quilting

?? on Big Stitch / Utility Stitch hand quilting

Old 10-22-2016, 09:55 AM

Default ?? on Big Stitch / Utility Stitch hand quilting

For all you hand quilters that have done traditional hand quilting - practicing/perfecting over the years those perfect, tiny stitches...how do you migrate to 'big stitch' hand quilting??

I'm almost exclusively and hand quilter and having been doing the above for about 15 years now. I think I do a pretty reasonable job of hand quilting and getting nice, even, small stitches - at least that's what non-quilters (and some quilters) think!

I just finished one baby quilt with the traditional stitching. I have the next one ready to be marked and quilted. I'm seriously considering doing the 'big stitch' for a host of reasons. One, I do like the looks on certain quilts. Two, this is baby quilt #5 in three years and I really just want to get it done and gifted! I'm a tad burned out on baby quilts! I thought the big stitch/utility stitch will not only look good on this quilt but also help me get it out of the house.

But I'm having serious questions on how to make the transition from those nice tiny stitches to nice big ones! I did see a piece done this way at my LQS. Asked the shop owner the same question. She is a machine quilter and the quilter who did that particular piece is currently out on maternity leave so no help there!

Any hints or clues anyone can offer? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-22-2016, 10:01 AM
Power Poster

I use Tiger Tape to keep the stitches even and big. http://www.tigertape.com/

Last edited by Onebyone; 10-22-2016 at 10:06 AM.
Old 10-22-2016, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Thanks for that link! Who knew Tiger Tape came in so many variations. Will definitely check that out. Haven't used it in many years but might just be the trick for this project! Will have to check JAF to see if they have that style in store.
Old 10-22-2016, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Wow...thanks for the heads up on this Tiger tape! I'm working on my first "big stitch hand quilted" quilt and this could be really helpful.

NJ Quilter, this is the first time I've ever hand-quilted anything so I can't offer you any advice, but I can tell you that I LOVE big stitch quilting! It goes so fast and I love the way it looks.

Good luck on that baby quilt, and show us pictures when you're done, please!
Old 10-22-2016, 10:21 AM

I've never done big stitch, but wouldn't a bigger needle and thicker thread automatically make your stitches bigger?

Good luck!

Janet
Old 10-22-2016, 11:12 AM

I've used Tiger Tape too! Works like a charm!
Old 10-22-2016, 11:27 AM

I've done a lot of hand quilting, but never big stitch so this thread is interesting. I just pulled up the link for Tiger Tape and wow is that a cool looking product. I might have to try it myself. Thanks!

And good luck with your project NJquilter. I hope you let us know how you do with it (picture please).
Old 10-22-2016, 12:07 PM

I really want to try this technique too. I watched a few you tube videos to get the idea. Here's one I liked:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bpAIKbYd68

I'm not a hand quilter, but I do love embrodiery so I thought I'd approach it like a running stitch embrodiery project. I haven't tried it yet, but I have my supplies ready to go. Good luck!
Old 10-22-2016, 12:14 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Hinterland View Post
I've never done big stitch, but wouldn't a bigger needle and thicker thread automatically make your stitches bigger?
This is exactly what I was thinking. Traditionally, big stitch quilting is done with much heavier thread, like 12 wt. I think just hand quilting like you normally due only with the bigger needle and thread, it will come naturally. But like Janet, I've never done it so can't say.
Old 10-22-2016, 12:21 PM
Power Poster

I know there is a youtube by Sarah Fielke
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DXN5Ger_jo