Old 10-22-2016, 09:55 AM
NJ Quilter

Default ?? on Big Stitch / Utility Stitch hand quilting

For all you hand quilters that have done traditional hand quilting - practicing/perfecting over the years those perfect, tiny stitches...how do you migrate to 'big stitch' hand quilting??

I'm almost exclusively and hand quilter and having been doing the above for about 15 years now. I think I do a pretty reasonable job of hand quilting and getting nice, even, small stitches - at least that's what non-quilters (and some quilters) think!

I just finished one baby quilt with the traditional stitching. I have the next one ready to be marked and quilted. I'm seriously considering doing the 'big stitch' for a host of reasons. One, I do like the looks on certain quilts. Two, this is baby quilt #5 in three years and I really just want to get it done and gifted! I'm a tad burned out on baby quilts! I thought the big stitch/utility stitch will not only look good on this quilt but also help me get it out of the house.

But I'm having serious questions on how to make the transition from those nice tiny stitches to nice big ones! I did see a piece done this way at my LQS. Asked the shop owner the same question. She is a machine quilter and the quilter who did that particular piece is currently out on maternity leave so no help there!

Any hints or clues anyone can offer? Thanks in advance.