Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Binder Presser Foot? >

Binder Presser Foot?

Binder Presser Foot?

Old 03-13-2015, 09:20 PM

Default Binder Presser Foot?

Hi, All,

Does anyone use a binder presser foot? I'm thinking of investing in one. So tired of my sloppy binding. By the time I get to the binding phase, I'm ready to be done. I have two Juki's: 2010q and F400. If you have experience with a binder presser foot for either of these machines--or, really, any machine, I'd be very curious to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!
A
Old 03-14-2015, 06:37 AM
Power Poster

Are you doing you binding totally by machine?? When I was in competition, I use to pin my binding to make sure I sewed it on straight. I have an older Bernina so I am sure there is not one of these feet available for my DSM.
Old 03-14-2015, 06:39 AM

I have a Bernina and use foot 71 (8 mm flat fell foot) to put the binding on my quilts. It is all done by machine. It looks nice from both sides. Hope your foot works as well.
Old 03-14-2015, 07:00 AM

I am doing my binding totally by machine--because I'm LAZY! I don't have a Bernina, but it is nice to know that it is at least possible to do binding by machine that looks nice on both sides. I have had luck using a zig zag stitch to apply binding, but would prefer a neat and tidy professional look.
Old 03-14-2015, 09:52 AM
Power Poster

If there was a flat fell foot available for my older Bernina, I would definitely give it a try. Currently I use the blanket stitch to finish my bindings by machine. What would be preferable is a feather stitch (or other decorative stitch) that does not have a line down the middle. My older Bernina does not have that, but many of the newer machines do. When you don't have that central stitching line, small deviations are not at all noticeable.
Old 03-14-2015, 10:03 AM

Interesting suggestion about the feather stitch. I do have one of those on my Juki F400. Also have a blanket stitch. This might be an idiotic question from someone who doesn't understand garment sewing all that well, but I wonder if a blind hem stitch could work for attaching a binding?
Old 03-14-2015, 10:27 AM
Power Poster

Sure, you could use a blind hem stitch; it is very similar to a blanket stitch. Both blind hem and blanket stitch have that line of straight stitches that will show any deviation, though. The feather stitch on my Bernina also has that line of straight stitches. I really wish I had a feather stitch (or any other kind of decorative stitch) that had a wavy center line. That would make all the difference, I think.

Why not test out a few different stitches on a sample? That's how I figured out what I liked the best.
Old 03-15-2015, 07:54 AM

Would the binder foot you're looking at be much larger than this one? She says you can only do 1/2" max width? Maybe this is something totally different. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfunJvNYjJk