Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bias Binder Foot >

Bias Binder Foot

Bias Binder Foot

Old 07-01-2009, 08:22 AM

Last night I was thumbing through my sewing machine manual and saw that Pfaff has a bias binder foot. I went online and saw a short video clip of one of these feet and it looked really kinda of neat. Has anyone used one? Do they work well? Before ordering one, I'd love to know if it's worth getting.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:45 AM

I thought seriously about getting one for my Viking. The Viking has 2 different ones, based on the size of the bias tape. And they have an adjustible one for multiple bias tape sizes. I'm guessing they're not cheap, though.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:55 AM

Found this site!

http://webstore.quiltropolis.net/sto...3&Item_ID=2175
Old 07-01-2009, 09:33 AM

They look interesting but I'm not sure that I want to spend the extra cash for one. I'd rather spend my money on fabric, fabric, fabric, LOL. Making the binding the old fashioned way works just as well for me. If you get one let us know what you think. :-)
Old 07-01-2009, 12:02 PM
Banned

i have one for my machine and i've never gotten the nerve up to try it.

i'm afraid that on the last step i'll ruin the quilt (how silly is that).

maybe i'll make up a small scrap quilt sandwich and finally give it a ride around a quilt :D
Old 07-01-2009, 12:19 PM

If you do that, Klue, let me know what you thought. They're not very expensive, but before I buy it, I want to make sure it's not another piece of something that I'll never use.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:21 PM

I'm wondering how well that would work. I have a Janome. I can't see by the picture of the foot if a quilt would fit into that small space. Hey Klue, please let us know if you give it a try, k?
Old 08-05-2009, 08:41 PM
Banned

i'm going to try it on some holiday placemats in the fall.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:40 PM

"Adjustable to fit bias tapes in different widths from ¼” (6 mm) to ¾” (20 mm). "
That sounds fine for stained glass work, but not big enough for me - I usually use 2-1/2" strips. for binding.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:00 PM

That looks more like the jig and foot that I used at the facory.
Keep in mind that it won't necessarily appreciate the type of binding that is a double fold ... it is designed for a single layer of fabric, and it will do the job, but it will take some practice.
Have you ever tried to sew two strips of fabric together, with hands held close together, one piece of fabric in each hand? ... no fair starting and stopping.
set the fabric under your needle, get the pieces moving, set your hands and then pedal to the metal and let the machine pull the pieces while you guide the fabric ... the whole length of the two strips ....
that is the concept of this foot ...
when I was using its cousin at the factory, my main fabric (a bathrobe) came from the left, and I guided the binding (like a twill tape) with my right hand. (I wasn't very good at it because of my "control issues" - - too heavy handed, though, my touch has gotten better in the last fifteen years or so. <g>) Quilting and time has taught me a lot.
I may have given you the wrong impression.
The jig I was working with didn't have the extra fold feature you are looking into. If you look, you can see in the clear plastic, there is a place that your quilt edge will come into ... and then your binding fabric is turned under ... the machine will stitch through both/all three at the same time.
It might help if you iron the binding first, just the parts that will be folded under.
And, I think you are right ... it is not an expensive piece, and working on a place mat or a doll quilt will tell you all you will need to know about it.
If I were you, I would take a chance on this binding tool/foot.
So! Dear, Ducky ... if you get it and you don't like it, I will purchase it from you .... does that help? <g>