Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Binding entirely by machine ?  Arthritis question >

Binding entirely by machine ? Arthritis question

Binding entirely by machine ? Arthritis question

Old 11-17-2010, 10:11 AM

I only have one machine newer than mid-seventies, and most are straight-stitch only. Several came with attachments for attaching binding, all in one step. This might be something for you to try.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:14 AM

If this were a family quilt, I would sew to the back and stitch carefully on the front. But it a prayer quilt for church and will be closely seen by several proficient quilters who do not have arthritis. One has offered to put in my ties if I can't and someone would do the hand stitching if I asked, but if I can make it look good on my own, I'd rather not ask.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:33 AM

Thank you so much for posting this link. The instructions are very clear. I'm going to practice, and if I can do it as well as she did, I'll be using this method to attach my bindings. :-)
Old 11-17-2010, 10:37 AM

I have arthritis on my spine and it is pressing on my nerves in my back and leg. I have found relief in doing some very simple Yoga twists. The DVD I use is Yoga for Arthritis by Peggy Cappy. I bought it through PBS. The gentle warm ups she does also helpes my lower back. I'd just check with your doctor before you do any of it. If you have any questions, let me know.

Pat
Old 11-17-2010, 11:46 AM
Power Poster

These are the best videos I have seen on attaching binding by machine. They are actually made for curved binding, but will work for all bindings. I can't sew by hand because of my carpal tunnel surgery I had. I have to say I HATE BINDING! It is just a fact of life, but these videos are wonderful. I could never join her site because it waaaaay tooooo expensive, but I love the free ones.

http://www.sharonschambernetwork.com...d-Binding.aspx
Old 11-17-2010, 11:56 AM
Power Poster

i do it often. usually sew by machine to the front and fold over to the back. as i fold, i insert straight pins on the front in the seam line to catch the binding on the back. then pull pins out as i stitch.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:06 PM

Thank you all so much! I have an MRI scheduled for tomorrow, I have had shoulder pain for a year. Cortison injection two weeks ago improved my range of motion (per the physical therapist) but not my pain level.

I am sure quilting is aggravating my shoulder pain, I would hate to have to give it up. The Dr. thinnks I have a rotator cuff tear.

Thanks for all of the help. I know I can always come here for an answer and everyone is so nice.
JulieM
Old 11-17-2010, 05:07 PM

I just had shoulder surgery 2 weeks ago. It is a tough surgery. I am not sure when i will be sewing again...lots of pain and bored out of my head. Having lots of time to be online...although that gets boring too.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:32 PM

I was in Wal Mart last night and I noticed a BROTHER machine that must have about a zillion stitches on it, for $135.00...........seems like a good deal to me.... I have an Artista 630 Bernina, that is in the shop right now....sure would like to have a "back up" machine to use when the "REAL" one isnt here... anyone know anything about the Wal Mart machines?
Old 11-18-2010, 06:40 AM

Thanks, KathyAire. Greetings from my Airedale pups to yours!

Originally Posted by KathyAire