Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Binding entirely by machine ? Arthritis question

I have read through the arthritis thread and picked up some good pointers. I know the post was more for people with arthritis in the hands. I have it in my right shoulder. This is really painful and it hurts into my neck and down my arm to the elbow.

Anyway, someone mentioned binding their quilts by machine, how do you do it. I do not have a zigzag fancy stitch machine.

Inquiring minds want to know.
    JulieM

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    I just did a queen quilts binding by machine. I don't hand sew at all and I usually fold my backing fabric to the front for my binding but that was not working with this quilt, it was causing too much bulk. I sewed the front and back at the same time and I came out nice. I think you could use a straight stitch for this. I just made sure I had it pinned really good and that the front and back of the binding were even.

Hi Julie, just attach raw side of binding to the back first and then roll it to the front and stitch, no need for a fancy stitch just make sure you catch it all. Clear as mud I'm sure.

Here is a YouTube that might help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jw0E...eature=related

Thank you for sharing that link. This will be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy S.
    Hi Julie, just attach raw side of binding to the back first and then roll it to the front and stitch, no need for a fancy stitch just make sure you catch it all. Clear as mud I'm sure.
    First thing I do is decide width of binding needed. Then press in half. Stitch raw edge to raw edge of quilt on back side. Next turn binding to front of quilt and machine stitch. Hope this is helpful. Let me know if I can be more help.

Listen to your body with Arthritis, it will tell you how much is enough. If you feel like doing something to it if not don't do it.

Check Arthritis Fountation for more info.

Blog Entries
    I sew the binding on the front, then after pressing it around the edge , I stitch in the ditch from the front. Looks great. I do need to pick up some invisible thread because I'm crossing too many colors on the one on the machine right now. I hope invisible thread has improved in last 20 years.

I sew my binding on the front by machine. Then I press it. I then turn it over and use Elmer's school glue or a washable glue stick and carefully press it again. The glue acts as a temporary bonding agent. When pressing to the back i can make it go just over the seam line from sewing on the front. Note: I do cut my binding about 1/8 to 1/4 inch wider than others do for my comfort.

Now, it is ready to sew by machine with one of my pretty stiitches. I do sew from the front, however, so I can see how I like it.

I have since learned that by using silk thread, and if I want to take the time, I can hand sew it to the back. If my hands hurt ... I use the machine or wait til they are better.

Usually, I machine sew.

I also use an Alto's Quick Cut 2 for cutting as it is much easier with my arthritis and the ruler NEVER SLIPS!!!

Hope this helps.

PM me if you want more help, please.

ali

Irishrose, invisible thread has improved. It is now quite useable but I still hate it! After all of my hard work, machine quilting, I want to be able to see the thread. You don't need fancy stitches to machine stitch binding. Stitch it to the back, roll it to the front and machine stitch close to the edge using matching thread. On the back you may see a row of stitching that looks like stitch in the ditch but who cares? I haven't had anyone even mention my machine stitched binding. They are too busy admiring the colour or design. Unless they are a quilter, they think that is the way it is suppose to be.

Blog Entries
    I try to use polyester invisible thread rather than nylon. It seems softer and won't melt with an iron (well it could but not as easily as nylon).

Blog Entries
    I only have one machine newer than mid-seventies, and most are straight-stitch only. Several came with attachments for attaching binding, all in one step. This might be something for you to try.

Blog Entries
    If this were a family quilt, I would sew to the back and stitch carefully on the front. But it a prayer quilt for church and will be closely seen by several proficient quilters who do not have arthritis. One has offered to put in my ties if I can't and someone would do the hand stitching if I asked, but if I can make it look good on my own, I'd rather not ask.

Blog Entries
    Thank you so much for posting this link. The instructions are very clear. I'm going to practice, and if I can do it as well as she did, I'll be using this method to attach my bindings. :-)

Blog Entries
    I have arthritis on my spine and it is pressing on my nerves in my back and leg. I have found relief in doing some very simple Yoga twists. The DVD I use is Yoga for Arthritis by Peggy Cappy. I bought it through PBS. The gentle warm ups she does also helpes my lower back. I'd just check with your doctor before you do any of it. If you have any questions, let me know.

Pat

Blog Entries
    These are the best videos I have seen on attaching binding by machine. They are actually made for curved binding, but will work for all bindings. I can't sew by hand because of my carpal tunnel surgery I had. I have to say I HATE BINDING! It is just a fact of life, but these videos are wonderful. I could never join her site because it waaaaay tooooo expensive, but I love the free ones.

http://www.sharonschambernetwork.com...d-Binding.aspx

Blog Entries
    i do it often. usually sew by machine to the front and fold over to the back. as i fold, i insert straight pins on the front in the seam line to catch the binding on the back. then pull pins out as i stitch.

Thank you all so much! I have an MRI scheduled for tomorrow, I have had shoulder pain for a year. Cortison injection two weeks ago improved my range of motion (per the physical therapist) but not my pain level.

I am sure quilting is aggravating my shoulder pain, I would hate to have to give it up. The Dr. thinnks I have a rotator cuff tear.

Thanks for all of the help. I know I can always come here for an answer and everyone is so nice.
    JulieM

I just had shoulder surgery 2 weeks ago. It is a tough surgery. I am not sure when i will be sewing again...lots of pain and bored out of my head. Having lots of time to be online...although that gets boring too.

Blog Entries
    I was in Wal Mart last night and I noticed a BROTHER machine that must have about a zillion stitches on it, for $135.00...........seems like a good deal to me.... I have an Artista 630 Bernina, that is in the shop right now....sure would like to have a "back up" machine to use when the "REAL" one isnt here... anyone know anything about the Wal Mart machines?

Blog Entries
    Thanks, KathyAire. Greetings from my Airedale pups to yours!

Quote Originally Posted by KathyAire

Cortison injections weaken the bones in your shoulder. Hope you get better soon.

Quote Originally Posted by 4dogs
    I was in Wal Mart last night and I noticed a BROTHER machine that must have about a zillion stitches on it, for $135.00...........seems like a good deal to me.... I have an Artista 630 Bernina, that is in the shop right now....sure would like to have a "back up" machine to use when the "REAL" one isnt here... anyone know anything about the Wal Mart machines?
    Two of my DDs have brother machines from WM. both are very happy with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy S.
    I do it this way alot too, works great, try it!

thanks. i hope healing goes fast too.

Blog Entries
    I had this a few years ago...rotar cuff tear........it took ages for it to stop hurting..........and even now, if I pick up something heavy, or put strain on it, I feel it pretty quickly...but it hasnt stopped my sewing...........just try to take it easy right now, give it a chance to heal....sometimes surgery will help, sometimes it will not. Pain meds help too, and just dont over do, or put too much strain on that arm.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast