Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: binding / handstitching

community benefactor hlponyfarm's Avatar
    When you bind your quilts, do you have to handstitch the back of the binding to the quilt? is there any tutorial on totally machine stitching a binding to a quilt?

I always use bias binding, and handstitch on the back. It's the way I was taught by my mother and have stayed with it. I'm sure there are quicker methods.

I always use the double fold binding technique and hand stitch to the back. I know I have seen techniques for doing total machine binding. Google binding tutorials, I'm sure that's where I saw it once.

I do both. Depends how I feel. Sometimes I handstitch the badown, others I completely machine sew it down. Depends on if I sew binding to the front or back of the quilt first.If I sew it from the front, then I handsew. If from the back, then I machine it all

you can google it on line...there are videos out there..

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    There is a nice tutorial on here by Eddie showing how he machine sews bindings.

I have machine stitched mine using a pretty stitch. I do this when I sew the binding to the back of the quilt and finish it on the front.

You can machine stitch the binding, but I have never been satisfied with this method. I prefer hand stitching both for the finished results and also it's relaxing to put in the hand stitches while watching TV. I look forward to this as an end step in finishing my quilts.

There are lots of posts on this topic. I know because I do mine all on my machine due to the arthritis in my hands/fingers and have posted how I do it. Just use the search engine and you'll see what I mean.

ali

Machine stitch as I feel it is more secure and will hold everything together better.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast