Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
binding / handstitching >

binding / handstitching

binding / handstitching

Old 03-12-2011, 06:16 AM

I use the french fold bias binding cut at 2 1/4" sew on with a 1/4" seam turn to the back, pin in place & sew with the machine in the ditch from the front.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:27 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by katlady
I use the french fold bias binding cut at 2 1/4" sew on with a 1/4" seam turn to the back, pin in place & sew with the machine in the ditch from the front.
This is what I do too, but I press it first. Press it as it was stitched to set the seams, then press the binding flat over the edge, then finally I press the fold over. It takes a few minues, but I get a much more consistent edge when I do this.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:43 AM

when I make mine, I make the back fabric into the binding. The backing fabric is wider than the front/sandwich so I just roll it up over the edge to make the binding.

I've been told that it's "old-fashioned" & it's the way "they USED to do it", but mine are working quilts & I like doing it this way. I learned it from my Grandma & my dad. :)

PS - I am NOT slamming any one else's technique.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:48 AM

I recently used that technique, self-binding I think it's called, for a basic quiltlet made from a single piece of flannel on each side which was tied instead of quilted. It looks fine, and it was wonderfully easy to do, but I do worry a bit about how sturdy it is. In this case it was flannel, which I'd hope is thick enough, but is self-binding a good idea in general when you're using a quilting cotton on the back?
Old 03-12-2011, 06:49 AM

I always hand stitch to the back. I believe there may be a tutorial on doing it by machine, if not, there's probably a u tube video on it. I've tried doing it, but much prefer doing it by hand, it just looks better to me, personal preference maybe.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:51 AM

Go here, and scroll down to the binding section for a 3-part tute. I've done it this way.

http://www.daystyledesigns.com/articles.htm
Old 03-12-2011, 07:30 AM

I always hand stitch the binding on quilts for family, friends, and clients. But I almost always machine quilt the binding on Community quilts. I figure they will be getting untold wear and tear, the parents possibly won't have the knowledge or perhaps the wherewithal to care properly for quilts, and I make far too many to spend time hand sewing them all. Sometimes I self-bind a charity quilt, but I think that a proper French binding will last longer and be easier to replace if needed. I would never use flannel for binding, it wears too quickly as the fabric is a much looser weave than a good cotton.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:41 AM

I always hand stitch my binding using a ladder stitch. I just do not like the look of sewing the binding down by machine. I love to do hand sewing and it's nice to have something to do if you are watching TV; I can't ever just sit!
Old 03-12-2011, 07:41 AM

I machine stitch everything.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:49 AM

I use double fold binding machine stitched to the front and handstitched to the back. The handstitching of the binding to the back is my favorite part of making a quilt. I haven't decided if it is that I so enjoy handstitching or that I am excited that the quilt is almost completed. I use binding cut on the bias only when I am making a quilt with curved edges. The quilt I am working on today has curved edges. My goal is to get the machine stitching completed so that I can do the hand stitching tonight. I have almost finished the free motion quilting and can't wait to start the binding. Best wishes with your binding.