Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Binding help needed... >

Binding help needed...

Binding help needed...

Old 03-20-2015, 08:09 AM
Power Poster

I cut my binding strips 2-1/4 inches, join the ends on 45* to get it long enough and fold it in half, right sides out. I line up the 2 raw edges of the binding with the quilt edge and stitch around with either my regular foot of my walking foot. Lengthen your stitch length a bit and your regular got will work fine. If you want to get some tips, I like the binding tutorials from http://ankastreasures.wordpress.com
Old 03-20-2015, 08:21 AM

go to utube and goggle "Sharon Schumer Binding Tutorial". She has one that takes you all the way through and I love the way she ends it. Good luck.
Old 03-20-2015, 08:41 AM
Power Poster

If I sew the binding over on the back by machine, that's when I use my walking foot on the front. I sew it on with a regular foot, then fold to the back and use straight pins to pin along the edge of the front binding being sure to catch the edge on the back. Then stitch with the walking foot from the front by stitching in the ditch (right next to the edge of the binding)
I hope this helps.

Last edited by nativetexan; 03-20-2015 at 08:44 AM.
Old 03-20-2015, 08:52 AM

have never used a walking foot to attach binding, never even crossed my mind to tell the truth. And I've been making quilts since the world was still black and white and dirt was new.
Just be sure to pinch both binding and quilt as you go along so the quilt doesn't ride up and the binding slide down, same as adding borders. That creep is what makes waving borders.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:23 AM

..also, maybe loosen the top tension a bit so the bulk moves smoother under your pressure foot....I do that when I use my walking foot, mfgr recommendation.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:27 AM

I have used a regular foot and a walking foot. Either works. I always stitch my quilt layers together close to the edge before I trim the excess backing and batting away. By doing this I have less to keep together when putting my binding on. The stitching doesn't show in the end because it is in the seam allowance.

My question is how do you quilt your quilt without a walking foot? Do you do all free motion? It seems to me there is much more danger of slippage in straight line quilting it than putting on the binding. If you are going to do machine quilting then a walking foot is a good investment. There are many out there and I have numerous older machines that I have gotten a universal walking foot for as have many of my friends. They are in the $25-$30 range. For me they have worked just as well as the walking foot that came with my new machine that was specifically made for that machine.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:06 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Homespun View Post
I use my regular foot to attach the binding to the front. Never had any problems; then attach the back by hand.
I use my 1/4" foot to attach my binding. I have done this for at least a couple of decades. I never had a problem and won many ribbons with my quilts. I just took my time making sure that I had the binding on straight before the needle stitched it.
Old 03-20-2015, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
have never used a walking foot to attach binding, never even crossed my mind to tell the truth.
Just be sure to pinch both binding and quilt as you go along so the quilt doesn't ride up and the binding slide down, same as adding borders. That creep is what makes waving borders.
What KQ said, exactly. I don't use a walking foot and I don't pin a thing. And I sew bindings professionally, meaning people pay me.
Old 03-20-2015, 12:26 PM

Dcamarote:

Thank you soooooo much for the tute info. I've never sewn it on and had it connect so nicely before!

It's on there. I just have to turn it and sew the last seam(hardest psrt for me...)
Old 03-20-2015, 12:29 PM

CtrusCountyQuilter:

I did QAYG quilting outline & around DP blocks. I assembled the blocks then quilted where the corners meet working one row at a time upwards. It was tough raslling with it as it got bigger. :-)