Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Binding help for newbie

Ok-

Quick recap - made 2 table runners using pinwheel blocks. Runner 1 - first thing I ever made, turned out not bad Runner 2 - second attempt much better points etc. BUT the problem lies in the BINDING! Runner 1 - I am machine binding, and I seem to be not getting a good accurate binding in that sometimes the stitches run into the boarder, or they look like a wavy mess. Runner 2 - the corners - I can see the top stitching which is WAY off in 2 of the corners.

SOO, questions are - what am I doing wrong to get the 2 edges of the bindings to not line up?

2- any good suggestions for perfect binding?

The REALLY IRONIC part to this whole story is that on BOTH runners the corners are PERFECT! HA! GEEZ!

I prefer to hand stitch my bindings down on the back. Is that an option for you? I know it's not for some folks - arthritis and whatnot makes it impossible.

go to quilt in a day site click on tv and videos watch eleanor burns binding tutorial helped me

I also hand sew my binding down in the back. I'll machine stitch it down on the front side, flip it to the back and then hand sew.

One thing to remember when sewing your binding down on the front is to stop a 1/4" from the cornor, fold your miter and then continue sewing down.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/search....Binding+videos

Videos seemed to help me the most when I first started out binding quilts. Here's a list of links that have been posted on this messageboard so far. Hope it helps.

I machine stitch the front but hand stitch the back.

Blog Entries
    Binding is on my 'learn to do it better' list. Good luck.

I also hand stitch my binding to the back. I could never catch both edges (front & back) evenly when trying to machine stitch it. Some people use water-soluble glue to hold it in place while stitching; maybe that would help. Do watch the various tutorials-you'll find the method that works best for you. Good luck.

Blog Entries
    I sew my bindings on by machine too, I made a tute to show how I glue them down before sewing :D:D:D

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-29275-1.htm

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast