Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
binding question >

binding question

binding question

Old 04-13-2014, 08:47 PM

thanks so much for all of your advice ....I try and find a binding video, most times if I can see it done it helps me understand how to do it, Thank you all
Old 04-14-2014, 02:01 AM

I have always just sewn to the corner, folded and restarted at 90*, but recently watched Patrick Lose on Fons and Porter demo his binding technique. He sews off the corner on and angle and trims excess fabric from the seam. Makes for a nice flat corner- I will try this way next time. It sure looks easy enough.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:33 AM

I, too, like the 45 degree mitered corner. I don't think I've ever done any other type.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:45 AM

That was Patrick Lose on F&P, but here is the link to his YouTube. Video a bit long, but really so easy to do and very effective.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?f...n&v=MMsmEtonhoA&NR=1
Old 04-14-2014, 07:55 AM

I alway make a 45 angle at the corners of the binding.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:06 AM

Deb Karasik has a great pictoral tutorial: http://www.debkarasik.com/store.php?cat=5

When she demonstrated it to us in class, she has added another step - at page 11, where she is showing the marked line for the miter, she now stitches that line down, which further secures the mitered corner (I have not tried that yet so I don't have a comparison as my current method is very similar to her tutorial).

I always do a little blind stitching to sew the corners so that they don't gap.

Cheers, K
Old 04-14-2014, 08:10 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ArtsyOne View Post
I recently saw someone on PBS showing that he angled off at 45 degrees at the corners when attaching binding. I happened to have a quilt ready for binding at the time and tried it. I think it made a nicer flat corner when flipping the binding up and then back again.
I watch a lot of PBS and don't remember seeing that. I will have to try it on my next binding. THANKS
Old 04-15-2014, 03:30 AM

I do not sew to the end when I'm sewing on my binding. I stop at the seam distance. I usually use my walking foot to attach a binding which has a 3/8" wide presser foot so I stop 3/8" from the end and sometimes I angle my sewing off the corner at that point and sometimes I just stop. I don't notice any difference between the two. I then fold my binding at a 45 degree angle and then down again and start stitching. Many people say to stop 1/4" from the end but that only works if you are using 1/4" seam allowance. Why they don't make a walking foot with a 1/4" wide presser foot is beyond me. I have an older machine so my needle only has one position (so I can't move the needle to change the seam allowance) and I use an after market universal walking foot.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:44 AM

I found your question interesting, as until recently, it never occurred to me to sew into that fold. Then, while reviewing a tutorial (one on the sew-off method mentioned previously), I saw stitches made into the fold when hand sewing the binding to the back. It made me wonder if I'd been doing it wrong all these years.

If I've been doing it wrong, it still works for me, as I've never had a roblem. I do now take a couple of stitches when doing baby quilts, as it does seem possible that a tiny finger could get into that space.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:12 AM

Ditto, NJ Quilter.