Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: BINDING QUESTION (told you I'd be back soon for more help)

Blog Entries

BINDING QUESTION (told you I'd be back soon for more help)

I have read and searched many of the binding posts; tutorials etc. but still have a question; if I want my binding to be a finished 5/8 inch do I still attatch it with a 1/4 inch seam to start? It seems like it wouldnt then be the 5/8 finished when I turn it over and enclose the quilt,batting and backing...........your comments and advice appreciated! Thanks.

Blog Entries
    To finish your binding at 5/8"' cut it originally at 3". Fold in half and press; now it is 1.75". Sew to the front of the quilt with a 1/4" seam allowance; 1.25" left. Fold over to the stitching line on the back and sew it down and the finished width should be 5/8". You might actually want to cut at 3 1/4" to have a little to wrap around the edge.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.

Blog Entries
    If you cut 3" strips, fold in half, sew a 1/4" seam, you should end up with 5/8" binding.

Blog Entries
    I cut mine 3 1/4" fold in half... iron... 1/4" seams.... comes out really nice
    Gigi07

Learn from Yesterday, Live for today, Hope for tomorrow.

Blog Entries
    Thanks so much! Am not near ready for the binding but was figuring out just how wide I wanted my last border to be and wanted to make sure I would have the 5/8 inch binding.

Quote Originally Posted by Krisb View Post
    To finish your binding at 5/8"' cut it originally at 3". Fold in half and press; now it is 1.75". Sew to the front of the quilt with a 1/4" seam allowance; 1.25" left. Fold over to the stitching line on the back and sew it down and the finished width should be 5/8". You might actually want to cut at 3 1/4" to have a little to wrap around the edge.
    3" cut in half is 1.5", not 1.75, but the rest of the numbers are correct.

The thing no one ever mentions, in any of the binding tutorials I've read, is that if you want a binding that is (for instance) 5/8" deep, you should sew 5/8" in from the edge of the quilt. That means, if you want a 1/4" seam in the binding, you are moving the edge of the binding in 3/8" from the edge of the quilt sandwich. If you don't do that your binding will still be 5/8" deep, but it will not be a full binding. Quilt show judges look for a full binding, but - more important - the quilt will wear better if the binding is full.

Antylu - just noticed you are in Brownsville. I would like you (and any other quilting board members in the vicinity) to join me in the Santiam Scrappers Quilt Guild, which meets in Lebanon. We welcome new members! And I really, REALLY, really want to see your Bountiful Blessings quilt in person. PM me if you would like more information.

Quote Originally Posted by antylu View Post
    I have read and searched many of the binding posts; tutorials etc. but still have a question; if I want my binding to be a finished 5/8 inch do I still attatch it with a 1/4 inch seam to start? It seems like it wouldnt then be the 5/8 finished when I turn it over and enclose the quilt,batting and backing...........your comments and advice appreciated! Thanks.
    If you attach it with a quarter inch seam it'll be quarter inch binding. If you want it wider on the front use a wider seam. I personally like a 3/8ths binding.

Blog Entries
    if you sew the first binding seam at greater than 1/4 inch, then the blocks have to have a greater size beyond the completed pattern of the block. otherwise, you will be cutting off part of the block pattern
    Nancy in western NY

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    if you sew the first binding seam at greater than 1/4 inch, then the blocks have to have a greater size beyond the completed pattern of the block. otherwise, you will be cutting off part of the block pattern
    If you trim the edges of your quilt sandwich beyond the edge of the blocks, you can make your seam deeper. In other words, if you want that 5/8" binding, trim your batting/backing 3/8" beyond the edge of the quilted top. When you sew the binding, sew it at 5/8" from the new cut edge. If your cutting is accurate, and of course it always is, you will catch that 1/4" of the top when you sew the binding on. Otherwise just make your final border a little deeper to accommodate the wider binding. Hope this all makes sense.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/makeminepatchwork
    "Piecin' a quilt's like livin' a life...The Lord sends us the pieces, but we can cut 'em out and put 'em together pretty much to suit ourselves, and there's a heap more in the cuttin' and the sewin' than there is in the caliker...I've had a heap of comfort all my life making quilts, and now in my old age I wouldn't take a fortune for them." (Eliza Calvert Hall, Aunt Jane of Kentucky)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast